Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why doesn't Porsche and other manufactures use a pre-oiler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,047 Posts
Default Why doesn't Porsche and other manufactures use a pre-oiler?

In my hot-rod days, it was common to install a pre-oiler on a freshly rebuilt, $5,000 motor (Chevy V8). I think it's about a $100 option and still sometimes used.

The pre-oiler is simply like a fuel pump, but instead pumps oil into the engine before you start the engine, thereby supposedly reducing wear on startup. The pump runs for about 20 seconds prior to startup and then shuts off. As cheap as it is, I wonder why no production cars actually have one installed at the factory? And don't give me the old "they want the engines to break down, so you have to buy a new car" bit, I don't believe it.

Any thoughts, feedback on this idea?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

People want to get in their cars turn the key and go not wait 20 seconds before they can start it.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

So then configure the pre-oiler to be initiated when the person uses the key-less entry and unlocks the door. Or even leverage the seat switch that is usually installed for airbag deployment...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humm... I' ve been messing with cars since 1965. Never have seen a "pre-oiler"? We called pre-oiling sticking a reworked distributor (minus the cam gear) down a newly built engine and spinning it with a drill to pre-lube a fresh built engine.

Who makes such a device that is permanently attached to any engine? Sounds like lots of "plumbing" necessary? Enlighten me/us please.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

MO_gearhead, you are definitely right about drilling the oil pump! That step is common when an engine is built fresh and really shouldn't be skipped.

They say that 50% or more of engine wear occurs on startup due to metal-to-metal-contact.

What I'm talking about can be best described by the following article: http://www.smartsynthetics.com/produ...mk01-amk02.htm

Another company makes a similar device, but this one supplies oil pressure when the oil pickup is sucking air under racing conditions: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/accusump.htm. That doesn't happen with our Porsches, but on a typical street car, it can happen all the time during spiriting driving. Happens most with the old Chevy V8 small and big blocks.

As far as plumbing goes, sure, it could create a mess with the old systems, but if does with these pressure tubes and attached to the oil filter, I think it would just add 1 additional oil line.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 910 Likes on 555 Posts

When street engines are going 200,000 miles plus without anything done to them, you have to ask if it is really necessary. Engines often outlast the bodies now. No need to make them better.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Matt, if it is true that some engines last to 200,000 miles and beyond, then imagine actually getting 400,000 miles. Realistically, not all engines last to 200,000. Some fail before 100,000. This pre-oiler would potentially extend the engine life beyond the life of the car.

I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of car you drive when it comes to the rusting car bodies. When I look at all the California 1960's muscle cars and classic Porsches, I often wonder how many engine rebuilds they are on. Granted, you can't stop all engine wear. But if you can extend the mileage by up to 50% for a $100 pre-oiler, I think that's a no-brainer for certain cars. Maybe not a Pontiac sunfire, but maybe a Porsche or why not even a McLaren or Ferrari? Many of these McLarens, Ferraris et al easily will outlast a typical engine.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably because the mechanism wasn't designed by a german.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Years ago, I worked with a Mechanical Engineer who must have been in his early 70's at the time. He retrofitted a remote controlled pre-oiler with a small heater. I would see him go over to the office window about 5 minutes before quitting time then go back to his desk.

When I asked what he was doing, he explained he had installed a preoil pump with a small inline heater that he used to warm the oil and lube the engine before he started the car in the winter. He just pressed a button on his remote from our 3rd floor window and by the time he got to the car, the oil was warm and the engine was lubricated. I think the car was an Olds 442.

This guy ended up being quite a character. He told me stories of rebuilding his Porsche 356 engines in the kitchen of his apartment in California. You never know who is a car guy until you stop to talk with them.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Years ago, I worked with a Mechanical Engineer who must have been in his early 70's at the time. He retrofitted a remote controlled pre-oiler with a small heater. I would see him go over to the office window about 5 minutes before quitting time then go back to his desk.

When I asked what he was doing, he explained he had installed a preoil pump with a small inline heater that he used to warm the oil and lube the engine before he started the car in the winter. He just pressed a button on his remote from our 3rd floor window and by the time he got to the car, the oil was warm and the engine was lubricated. I think the car was an Olds 442.

This guy ended up being quite a character. He told me stories of rebuilding his Porsche 356 engines in the kitchen of his apartment in California. You never know who is a car guy until you stop to talk with them.
Nice! Couldn't a pre-oiler be used on shut down also? pushing oil through a little longer. Would this help a track turbo?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonh
Nice! Couldn't a pre-oiler be used on shut down also? pushing oil through a little longer. Would this help a track turbo?
Yes, if you used a motor-driven oiler.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
havoc
Intermediate

A company (Mecca) has been making a preoiler for ages called the Accusump. I remember seeing the Accusump in the old Autoworld catalog circa 1973. This system doesn't use a motor, it stores oil under pressure from the engine oil pump. Pegasus Racing sells the item. It can either be a manual valve or an electric release wired to the start solenoid. It also maintains pressure in non-dry sumped engines if the oil intake is starved by cornering forces. Here is the link:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...oupID=OILACCUS
Jim S.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by havoc
A company (Mecca) has been making a preoiler for ages called the Accusump. I remember seeing the Accusump in the old Autoworld catalog circa 1973. This system doesn't use a motor, it stores oil under pressure from the engine oil pump. Pegasus Racing sells the item. It can either be a manual valve or an electric release wired to the start solenoid. It also maintains pressure in non-dry sumped engines if the oil intake is starved by cornering forces. Here is the link:
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gro...oupID=OILACCUS
Jim S.
Lotus are now using these in the Exige S. They pre oil and maintain oil pressure. There is a choice of solenoids at different pressures. they also make a "turbo after oiler" which can be used to keep oil flowing (1 quart) after shutdown. I think it is Canton Racing that makes them.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Porsche and other manufactures use a pre-oiler?