Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Groan on turn-Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

The noise started becoming more active.

I was traveling straight up my brothers driveway and there is about a 2 inch drop onto gravel which caused a load groan

I now have the car on jack stands and the D/S wheel has some play when I am rotating the wheel back & forth clockwise & counter-clockwise and it seems to be a bit tighter then the P/S wheel.

I got the bearing cap off no problem but I cannot find the correct allen key

Is it 8MM?

My stomachs growling now so it's time to grab a bite to eat.

John
Old 07-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
The noise started becoming more active.

I was traveling straight up my brothers driveway and there is about a 2 inch drop onto gravel which caused a load groan

I now have the car on jack stands and the D/S wheel has some play when I am rotating the wheel back & forth clockwise & counter-clockwise and it seems to be a bit tighter then the P/S wheel.

I got the bearing cap off no problem but I cannot find the correct allen key

Is it 8MM?

My stomachs growling now so it's time to grab a bite to eat.

John
I think you can get rid of that groan by pulling the pads, cleaning the backings and calipers nice and good, and then apply some compound.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Thanks for the tip Murphyslaw.

I plan on re-greasing the outer bearings & checking the adjustment and I noticed that the brake pads only have about 6 mm of friction material left on them so I might as well change them while I'm in there.

John

Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

I pulled the brake pads last night and they are actually down to 4mm.
New pads (Front & Rear) are on order through Pelican - Metal Masters

Also there is zero noise when I spin the rotors with the pads removed and the calipers seals still look good.

John

Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

I almost got to the point of replacing the brake pads.

I just spent a few hours yanking the old A/C hoses and parts out of the wheel well and removed the wiper fluid tank along with a few pounds of dirt & sand.

I decided to double check the caliper seals and noticed that one of them was dry & cracked.

Should I replace before moving on?

John
Old 08-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '84 Carrera Coupe does this on very low speed operation. I assumed it was brake pad vibration? The car is a 60K mile original condition car. I figured new pads with some kind of anti-squeal shim or spray might do the trick but after reading Peter's post I will go with that...

Other weird Carrera-isms are that the bright lights will go on randomly during night time operation... Not sure what the fix is for that.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

the indicator stalk ( high beam control ) is at fault. I have not had it happen to mine but I hear there is a "fix' for that ..
Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

I survived my 1st caliper rebuild

I used the c-clamp with a brake pad to hold in one piston and hooked up the brakeline back up and gave a brake pedal a few pushes to pop out the piston.

The piston with the cracked seal had a bit of crud that I was able to polish off.

My wife was real thrilled with me choosing the kitchen counter-top as a work bench...

Straight pin helped removing the inner seal and the metal clamp ring was a peice of cake. I was expecting the worst after reading about others having a frustating time re-placing the pistons and re-installing the clamp. Maybe it is the earlier calipers having the metal ring installation problems?

Next up is pad replacement & fluid change and a 6-pack of Red Stripe

At the rate I'm going i should finish up when the temps drop back into the lower 80's.

John

Quick Reply: Groan on turn-Calipers?