Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Groan on turn-Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I just completed 250 miles of spirited driving this weekend and the groan had not come back.

Now that I mentioned it, the sound is sure to come back tomorrow

John
Old 02-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's correct, more often than not hard driving actually exacerbates the problem.
Pete
Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
MTBGUY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Peter- what exactly did you mean in the previous post when you said "reseal calipers" does that mean rebuild the caliper?
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 88 made the same noise you described when I bought it. Try this, when the moan occurs just slightly touch the brakes. I bet the moan will stop. That is what I did. I rebuilt my front calipers and replaced the pads and the problem went away. When I took the right caliper apart, i discovered that someone before me had the pistons in up side down...

Dan.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by MDL
My 88 made the same noise you described when I bought it. Try this, when the moan occurs just slightly touch the brakes. I bet the moan will stop. That is what I did. I rebuilt my front calipers and replaced the pads and the problem went away. When I took the right caliper apart, i discovered that someone before me had the pistons in up side down...

Dan.
Yikes! I'm actually afraid to get into the brakes on my car. I am thinking about a DE event, so I will probably change the fluid and rubber flexible brake lines on all 4 sides, but I'm wondering what else I'll need to do.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Murphy: Many times hose replacement alone fixes the problem.

MTB: Yes, when I say "reseal" I mean rebuild. I think that reseal is a more accurate term, because all that is normally done, other than careful cleaning, is to replace the piston o-rings and dust boots.
Pete
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Yikes! I'm actually afraid to get into the brakes on my car. I am thinking about a DE event, so I will probably change the fluid and rubber flexible brake lines on all 4 sides, but I'm wondering what else I'll need to do.

If your going to do DE's I would suggest using braided brake lines.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
MTBGUY
Advanced

Thumbs up

Im going to order the SS braided lines and replace them in the next week. I noticed there are DOT "approved" and non-DOT approved ones for sale, and the non-DOT ones are less expensive.

Which ones work better? I was looking at the Pelican site for these items.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I'm not a fan of braided lines, until it's time to go racing. Then buy the Kevlar braided, DOT approved lines. Never buy lines that are not DOT approved. For an occasional DE, and most driving done on the street, I would use only factory o.e. rubber lines.
Pete
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I had a problem after replacing the AC system on my 85 euro 930. We didn't get the AC hoses in the left front wheel well back in their proper position. When turning to the left it'd set up a tremendous howl/groan from the tire when they hit the hose. Loosen the mounts and getting them in a better position made it quiet again.

Jim Parker
'85 euro 930
'84 euro Carrera 3.2
Old 02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it, too, though only under hard use at the track on infield sections. It sounds a lot like a goose! Good call!

I also checked wheel bearings and everything else...no issues. I think it is the caliper that gets stuck with high heat. I don't think it's tire rub (at least on my car) because the noise continues a bit even when a straighten the wheel. It also takes a few laps to go into full song.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Check wheel bearings. Sometimes they will behave normally in a straight line but groan a bit while cornering.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Vinobien
Track Day

I get the same groan ... in fact I found this thread after posting my own. I know what to go after now thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Well the fog horn noise started to come back- sounded like a freight train horn

It only happens on the street corner when I'm driving into my sub-division and this time the noise continued after I straighted the wheel out for a second until I tapped the brake pedal.

I jacked up the wheels last night and I felt not play in the wheel bearings but when I turn the wheels I can hear the brake pads scraping more on the drivers side which is where the source of the noise is coming from.

All 4 calipers were rebuilt and new hoses were installed 4 years ago but maybe one of them got gummed up from sitting for a few months the other year.

Pap Parts has the kit $20 for both wheels.

John
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 AM
bobbigham
Pro

I got my 88 targa in May and have experienced the same issue, not often, and usually after braking and turning slowly, like into the driveway or into the garage, but not too often on regular runs.
The car had been a garage queen and I thought the caliper was sticking some (due to lack of use) to cause the noise.

I will probably have the calipers resealed and new pads installed when it is time for a annual service. hope that will take care of it. It isn't going to be a "GQ" any longer.

Quick Reply: Groan on turn-Calipers?