Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Broken front A/C condenser fan. Does anyone know a source for the squirrel cage..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Broken front A/C condenser fan. Does anyone know a source for the squirrel cage..

portion only?

My battery did not have a vent tube. In the process of removing the battery for adding the tube, I had to remove the front condenser fan assembly. I tried to turn the squirrel cage by hand and it was frozen. I removed the cage from the assembly and noticed that the brushed/contacts were broken. There was also evidence of electrical overheating.

Is it possible to replace the squirrel cage and motor windings or do you have to buy the whole assembly (housing, cage, air inlet duct)?

Any suggestions on where to get a used unit? I assume that this may be a pricey part.

BTW- The battery mount and nearby metal had a lot of acidic dust. I cleaned them all, sanded the small amount of rusted metal and applied some protective paint. As someone mentioned in another post, you get acid residue in the front trunk from having a vented battery without the vent tube.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

What year is your car?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
tone40
Racer

Default Wachuko....

It is an '88 Carrera.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I just took one out of my car. Email me a olsenjack (at) gmail.com if you still need one.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:51 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this is correct but you may want to check and make sure you have that fan fused after you install a new one. I think it was the source of fires. My mechanic put a fuse in mine and I'm pretty sure that's the one that can cause problems.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM
tone40
Racer

Default 88911Coupe- According to the Bentley manual wiring diagram...

The fan is on circuit 2 of the 1st fuse block. This fuse for mine is intact. Assuming that this interpretation is correct, did your mechanic add a 2nd fuse for safety's sake?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:11 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tone40
did your mechanic add a 2nd fuse for safety's sake?
There's a fuse harness that Porsche developed after several of the fans caught fire and cars were destroyed. It incorporates a blade fuse into the fan's power input. I bought mine at Pelican, but can't find the part number now. You might give them a call and see if they can locate it for you. IIRC, the kit was not very expensive and was easy to install, and gave me peace of mind after reading about fan fires.

Scott

Quick Reply: Broken front A/C condenser fan. Does anyone know a source for the squirrel cage..