Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electric Impact Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah...I think I'm going to go with the Dewalt corded model with 345 ft-lbs max torque. It is a bit larger than I'd hoped, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Right price, good quality, and should have enough power for just about every job. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 PM
rscredon
Instructor

Is 240 lb torque enough for lug nuts? I just purchased an electric one and it won't budge the lug nuts on my car. Is just normal to have to "break" the lugs first?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Do you really need more than 300 ft-lbs of torque? I can remember trying to change a tire on my father's Jeep. The tire shop must have used a 1" impact gun, because a 6' long bar with a 200 lb guy jumping up and down on it still didn't get the lug nuts off the wheel. We couldn't change the tire!

If you used 300ft-lbs on the lug nuts of the wheels, it would take all the weight of man weighing 180 lbs to get the nuts off with an 20" bar. I think that's plenty of torque!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by rscredon
Is 240 lb torque enough for lug nuts? I just purchased an electric one and it won't budge the lug nuts on my car. Is just normal to have to "break" the lugs first?
People usually over tighten the lug nut on cars. But also, these nuts frequently lock up since hardly anyone applies anti-seize compounds to the threads. Additionally, many nuts start to rust onto the bolt.

You're going to have to get a breaker bar and pop them loose. Pop them before jacking up the car, but don't loosen them until all the weight is off the wheel.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, I have the corded DeWalt unit. Yes, it is heavy- but that is kinda reassuring- as it counterbalances the torque, if you see what I mean. Do you have a torque wrench? That's important- there have been many discussions on those both here and on Pelican. Good luck- hope it works out.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Do you really need more than 300 ft-lbs of torque?
I'm not 100% sure but I think when it gives a rating of max torque, that is with no load on the wrench. So when you are actually loosening or tightening something I think you are getting less.

I'm not so concerned with lug nuts. It's more suspension nuts and bolts that I use it for. Shock bolts, those rear eccentric height adjustment bolts. When I did my rear torsion bars on my 944, an air impact wrench was invaluable.

Quick Reply: Electric Impact Wrench