Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

993 Alignment / Suspension -- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 04:31 AM
Michael H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 Alignment / Suspension -- Questions

I have read a couple of "993 buyers guides" recently as I'm considering changing from my 3.2 Carrera to a 993 C4. Two issues keep coming up:

-- The wheel alignment is quite sensitive and poor roads can throw things off pretty quickly.

Any owner perspectives on this? Is the C4 different than the C2 with regard to this area?

-- The wiring loom can break down due to heat.

The car I'm looking at now is a 95 C4 and I've read their is a Porsche factory recall/fix for defective wiring on the 95's. Does this apply to all 95's? How do I find out is this car is affected?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Michael H:
<strong>I have read a couple of "993 buyers guides" recently as I'm considering changing from my 3.2 Carrera to a 993 C4. Two issues keep coming up:

-- The wheel alignment is quite sensitive and poor roads can throw things off pretty quickly.

Any owner perspectives on this? Is the C4 different than the C2 with regard to this area?

-- The wiring loom can break down due to heat.

The car I'm looking at now is a 95 C4 and I've read their is a Porsche factory recall/fix for defective wiring on the 95's. Does this apply to all 95's? How do I find out is this car is affected?

Thanks in advance for your replies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Michael:

Great cars, and you will really enjoy ANY 993 model you decide on. Let me address your questions.

1) These cars have a very complex rear suspension design with several adjustments that must be spot-on spec and side-to-side. Aligning the 993 does not suffer fools who have little experience and are without the proper tools. Find yourself a shop with proven experience with 993's. Camber, static toe, and kinematic toe must be set very precisely. Since the suspension is pretty much identical between the 2WD and AWD models, this applies to both cars.

2) There is an issue with the engine wiring harness on MY 95-96 993's. A dealer will tell you which VIN numbered cars are affected and if so, that car should get a new harness, free of charge.

Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: 993 Alignment / Suspension -- Questions