Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Elliptical hole in Carrera airbox cover??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I have read the same thing as you, KC911, and thus, I have come to the conclusion that "someone" is less of a credential than "Jerry Woods." Others on Rennlist also say that "there is no horsepower gain", but most who make this claim only have the "butt dyno." The ones that actually have a dyno are not professionals, just amateurs.

To each his own, regardless of who is right and wrong, but I made the change due to the sound more than anything else.
Just to be argumentative ... I had to go back an look, but the 'someone' that I'm referring to is Bruce Anderson (amongst others) doing fairly extensive comparisons. I wonder if Steve W is reading this thread, and what his view on this subject is? This debate is pretty quantifiable with a dyno and a process that passes the 'statistically valid' smell test, and I'm just very suspect in the conclusions that JW reached after all I've read. But in the end, it's a moot point....hp gains or not, I like the sound too !
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by KC911
Just to be argumentative ... I had to go back an look, but the 'someone' that I'm referring to is Bruce Anderson (amongst others) doing fairly extensive comparisons. I wonder if Steve W is reading this thread, and what his view on this subject is? This debate is pretty quantifiable with a dyno and a process that passes the 'statistically valid' smell test, and I'm just very suspect in the conclusions that JW reached after all I've read. But in the end, it's a moot point....hp gains or not, I like the sound too !
In that case, Bruce Anderson is just as credible as anyone. The debate (not unlike which motor oil to use) lives on! I don't know the God's honest answer, but my logic is such:

If removing the air cleaner definitely produces no loss, and potentially produces a gain, however small, then the "safe" bet would be to simply perform the modification.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
bmcallister
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking to the "statistically significant" point, you are not going to observe a statistically significant difference between two data points. For a "modified" dyno result to be significantly different it would have to be two or more standard deviations from the population (or adequate sample) mean with all other factors being controlled as equal. This would require multiple tests on the same car with temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc, etc being constant. If the modified dyno measurement was two or more standard deviations (greater or lesser) than the sample mean, then one would "fail to reject the null hypothesis" which in this case is that there is no difference between the treatment (modified) and non-treatment. But I digress...

If there is a difference and it is so small only a dyno can detect it then go with what sounds best to you, subjectively. If there is no difference then go with what sounds best to you, subjectively.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmcallister
.... But I digress...
Damn, you digressed me back to stats classes many moons ago ! Let's face it, reasonable dyno techniques are not going to pass the 'statistically valid' smell test in the academic sense (too many variables that you haven't mentioned), but given just a few dyno runs, one can reach a reasonable conclusion. I've done some dyno comparisons comparing chips (swapping back & forth between runs), and was able to draw some conclusions based upon just a few runs each way, but a sample size of one (each way) doesn't convince me much.... So much for stats...is it happy hour yet ?

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 01-27-2007, 06:15 PM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Loaded
Let me know how the Frankenstein Box works and wnat you think of the sound...SW chip, catbypass...FrankenBox sound....must.drive.now.
frank

Quick Reply: Elliptical hole in Carrera airbox cover??