Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What more should i do to save money

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What more should i do to save money

I have a 911 targa and it needs a paint job . The person who had it before me got it painted and it looks like he put tape over most of the black parts then drove through a part of the world were it rained nasty red paint . Im hoping to do a little better than that this time. I don't have alot of money to put into my project car at this time and I don't want to stop working on it and just let in sit in my drive-way for years to come. I am taking off all of the parts that I think should come off to get a better paint job and to save some money by doing the work myself. So far i have taken off all of the rubber parts and most of them have over-spray on them . I really hope they will come clean . I also have taken out the front and rear windows, all of the lights , carpet and seats are out too . It really looks like a hunk of junk . My wife said it out-loud, but I'll be ok ... What more should i do to save money on getting my car painted and where can i go to have the job done on a low budget.

Thanks ,
(Woodland Hills, CA area)
Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to ask the paint shop what else you can do to help them. Maybe take pics of the car in its current state. Every hour of work they don't have to do is money saved. Plus get several quotes so you can make sure you get a good deal.

Hope it works out,

Paul.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd have a painter over to examine it & advise. long-shot, but maybe it could be wet sanded to improve the previous work, or maybe you can hand-sand it to prep it further for a shop. maybe find a retired pro or a Porsche owner (via PCA or whatever) who is an expert paint it. good luck!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are doing everything right! Find a good paint place and talk to the manager and I agree, ask him what else you can do. It shouldn't cost more than 2 thousand dollars unless you are going down to bare metal. But it sounds like you are going for a respray. I would try to get someone that will use Glasurit paint. That's what Porsches have on them, and it is high quality paint. That doesn't mean it will cost a lot more.

I have never done it, but I will be restoring an old Saab this summer and I plan on doing what you have done so far to your Porsche. Someone told me if I block and sand it myself it will save even more money. I believe that means if there are any dents or imperfections, I will sand a small area down to bare metal and then fill it with glaze (if it is not too deep) and then use a big block to sand it smooth.

I understand a high quality paint job has to do with the prep, not the actual spraying of the paint. That is the easy part. Let me know what you learn!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 AM
vincenttt
Advanced

Thanks guys! I had one person come over to look at the car and he told me that he could do the job for $5,000 . Then i asked him what if i didn't have all this stuff taken off. He said it would have been $10,000 . So i took one more look at him and i saw that he was out of his mind and i needed to get him out of my yard fast..... i was thinking of wet sanding it, but it has some deep chips in the paint. What should i be looking to pay to have this job done?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:41 AM
vincenttt
Advanced

If i go with the same color would that save me money or just make it easy to repaint ?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Username
Track Day

Originally Posted by vincenttt
If i go with the same color would that save me money or just make it easy to repaint ?
Same color will make it easier and cheaper. If you're doing the strip and prep work yourself, then you could always take it to (gulp)Maaco for the paint. They use good paint but will spray anything that's not taped/masked. Other than that, strip the car and let a paint shop do the rest...$2000 - $3500 hundred depending on prep needed.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if you can look for a roller targa with a nice paint job and swap the parts and sell what you don't need.

John
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
I would try to get someone that will use Glasurit paint. That's what Porsches have on them, and it is high quality paint. That doesn't mean it will cost a lot more.
Actually, the Glasurit costs a whole lot more than the Duponts and other regularly-used paints. Not only does the paint cost more to begin with, but it requires some kind of additive (don't ask me what it is!) that also costs an arm and a leg if the body shop doesn't have it already (and they have to buy it in bulk amounts).

If one is looking to save money and isn't hung up on originality, you could go with a more readily available paint brand but in a Porsche color (Guards Red, I presume!).
Old 01-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

There was a good size thread about this recently here or on Pelican, can't remember which. What I took away from it is that any shop can spray the paint on, it's the prepwork that's going to make or break the project (or the bank). You either do the prepwork yourself, or pay a high price to have prepwork done right. Apparently it's perfectly within capabilities of the average person to do the prepwork themselves, you just have to be prepared for the time commitment. Once that's done (and EVERYTHING is removed, including glass) even a Maaco paint job will look fine. The only problem with places like Maaco, as was hinted at above, is they don't carry Glasurit, which seems to be the paint of choice for Porsches.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The minimum you want to do is wet sand the whole car and have it spot primed. Sand the spots and have the car sealed and shot. You might get away without the sealer. I assume this is a driver that you want to look respectable and shiny. This will do it. Anybody can wet sand, and anybody can do minor bondo repairs. The trick is to look at the reflections in the water as you sand .
Old 01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
vincenttt
Advanced

Looks like i'm going to try my hand at some wet sanding 1) What about the chiped paint ? 2) Do i need to take it down to the metal ?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Please le tme kn ow your results. I am contemplating doing the same work on my 88 but dont have the confidance. I am wondering if an amature can do this well. If you can take some pics, that would be great. Im sure many of us can benefit from your project.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

not if the primer and lower levels of color coat are in good shape - you do want to be sure the surfaces are "even" - you spray a guide coat on and sand based on that
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, this may be an unorthodox suggestion, but what about block sanding it yourself and then shoot it in flat black primer (either DIY or pro). I know it probably sounds crazy, but someone on this list or pelican has a widebody setup like that and it has a definite appeal. Looks very aggressive in my opinion. I think the one I saw was backdated to some degree as well. May be worth a look. If nothing else, you would have an aggressive looking p-car you could drive around for awhile as you save for a better paint job. Can anyone else assist with a pic or link of the car I am speaking of?

Quick Reply: What more should i do to save money