Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking @ '83 911SC- have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Tarheelexec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, I purchased a '83SC with 62,000 original miles.....Chain tensioners, head studs, etc and all updates finished. Had a PPI and needed about $700 work to make is first class. Mechanically the car is perfect and with new tires.....Interior was excellent but paint was just fair to poor in some spots. It was a repaint (of original color but done poorly). The total cost came to about 17K.
I was okay with that investment......Now, After much thought I decided to have the paint done over correctly and now have 20K + into it....HOWEVER, I have a great looking and running classic. For me the total experience has been just great. Good luck with your hunt.....these are fantastic cars !
Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I've been looking for a couple of years myself, and I have gotten more serious recently.
I really prefer the G-50 tranny, and I recently just missed out on a 1987 with 189k but
a top-end and clutch already done, and full records, at 13k. It has a few issues like a
soft dent that would have required a $300 dentless repair guy to fix, a missing engine
pad, a cracked dash, a bunch of rockchips. It came down to me offering the guy 13k
conditional on a PPI and financing, and he didnt' want to jump through more hoops
at that point, and sold it for $13.4 to someone else. There is another car, a 1988 911
with 148k on the clock and a recent clutch done, but no rebuild (yet) that I can get
for 15k w/ fuchs that need refinishing, but I am just worried about the car needing
valve guides or a top-end soon, at that mileage, so am hesitating. I have also seen
posted a 1987 911 w/ 55k for 23k (most likely sold now), a 1987 with 90k for 17k,
a 1989 w/ 83k for 24k, etc. My figure is more like 15k but as you see I have to really
search hard and take higher-miles cars for that price. I also know of a pretty much
mint SC black, that sold for about 15k locally. There's also an SC with only 23k miles
nearby for 20k, and a bunch of cars with around 80 where they want 22-24k. Theres
even a guy selling an 86 w/ 100k for 16k, and the same guy bought an 86 w/ 130k
and a rebuild for 14k. This is all in the Bay Area. With finding out how dang expensive
these cars are, and reading Jay's post--I am reminded of the fact that it is in fact better
to spend the money upfront, or really, really like the car. For me the thing I am most
paranoid about esp on the 3.2s is that they often seem to need a top-end between
120k-150k, and/or the valve guide replacement done at 40-80k --that seems to be an
issue. In any case, good luck in your search.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Oldtee
Pro

I bought a 87 Carrera Targa for $8k. So far I have about $5-6K in it for new axles, rotors, calibers, all bushings, new front strut assemblies, new rear shocks, new brake lines, 1 new wheel, ft and rear wheel bearings and some other stuff. I still have the engine to refresh, not overhaul, with spark plug wires, some sensors, air box repairs, probably a heat exchanger and a clutch. Doing the work myself with some very good advice and help from a local expert. The car has 97K miles, was not taken care of, sat for two years and there is some minor body work to repair (work not done properlly). So far it has occupied 4 months of work with another one or two to go. Nice project

What I started with
Attached Images  

Last edited by Oldtee; 01-11-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMWDavid, I have that exact car, though with the black sport seats. The color was called "Ruby Red Metallic," and it was only made on 911s in 83 (SC) and 84 (Carrera). I get so many compliments on the color for whatever reason...and the concours people go nuts. It's a matter of personal taste. The tan interior would look nice, I'm sure.

The 83 SCs are wonderful. Mine was a creampuff...only 56,000 miles on it when I bought it. Like everyone here has said, these cars do need to be freshened as they are all 23+ year old cars at this point. I had to do a turnsignal/headlight relay, a steering column bushing, and a few other knick knacks for $1,000...and that was with a good PPI. I chose to put new suspension and exhaust on it...what a difference! I love my car. Anyhow, it's greens fees or golf ***** when it comes to pricing...you pay a high up front cost if all upgrades and freshening is already done, or a lower price if you have things to do. I think a price of $14K would certainly be reasonable if the condition is good. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Again I want to thank all of you for your encouraging words. I posted on Pelican a WTB. Have been getting a steady steam of replys from that.

Looked at a car or should say that I had my bro-in-law check out as he was closer. Saved me a trip as that car had a few issues. Will continue to check classifieds and hope to single out some cars within my driving range to look at.

David
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
RAJU
Advanced

1997 I bought a `83 SC , " same colors as yours ". Mine had had tension upgrade & pop off valve .
I say a least get tensioner upgrade , and consider it in your offer. At aprox 34 k mi. , one of my tensioners gave out . The cost of repair @ $ 1,300.00 , much less than a new engine .
Let an experience tech check if factory PLASTIC clutch peddal piviot point bushing and throttle linkage bushing are still in . If you replace them with available brass bushings , you will get back more clutch cable ajustment , and will get back full throttle . >>>>..>>>>>...>>>>>>....>>>>>>>>>.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

Quick Reply: Looking @ '83 911SC- have a few questions