Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Radius Arm Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007 | 12:53 PM
MikeTCarter
Intermediate

Default Radius Arm Cover

Hi

I have a 911 SC and the radius arm cover is corroded on the right side. Does anyone know if I can undo the 4 bolts and remove and then replace it or is more complicated than this? Will it upset the geometry or do I need to remove the torsion bar tension in some way first.

Also, where do you place a trolly jack on these cars? There does not seem to be anywhere strong enough.

Thanks

Mike (New Owner)
Old 01-05-2007 | 02:40 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Technically, you probably could just take the cover off & replace. But the torsion rod/springplate is under tension & it might be ugly if it pulls out too far when you are yanking the cover off.

I would undo the springplate & let it relax & then you could safely replace the cover. As long as you don't change the spline seating front & back or the adjustment bolts on the springplate, all settings would remain as they are.

However, the rubber bushings are probably shot & need replacing anyway.

Ian
Old 01-05-2007 | 03:24 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

While you are there definately replace the bushings. Then of course you can't do only one side, so on the left side, since the rear shocks are disconnected might as well replace those too, good time to lower the cars as well.... oh wait a minute..... there I go again. This is usually how a restoration gets started.

Jacking the car up. Use the factory jack in the recepticle behind the plug in the rocker panel (see manual). Or if you have a floor jack, get a jack plate and insert into the same recepticle and use your floor jack. This method is recommended and much more stable. Jack plate is available anywhere for about $15. I always use jack stands as a precaution but with the job you are doing you won't be able to as I put them on the trailing arm stubs. In this case, throw you wheel/tire under the car. and chock your front wheel.

Good luck, Peter
Old 01-05-2007 | 04:19 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by butzip
Use the factory jack in the recepticle behind the plug in the rocker panel (see manual).
In my opinion, never use the stock jack unless it's a dire emergency. That thing isn't really safe. My jack was missing & my car shows a rocker kink from what I believe was a falling jack incident.

There are numerous jack points around the car, but spend $100 & get a proper 2-3 ton floor jack before attempting suspension work. And spend a bit more & get 4 decent jack stands. As mentioned, the side jack point with a jackpad is your most convenient. Some guys use the engine to lift the back end & some say that it's not a good thing. Some guys use the tub corners with wood blocks but I'm squeamish about that. To get the front up, the front torsion covers are solid. The solid metal piece beside the front height screw can work too. Often you’ll have to use several of these for one episode.

But be safe & get the right tools!

Ian
Old 01-06-2007 | 06:54 AM
MikeTCarter
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I am really new to 911 ownership so forgive the odd stupid question. What is the spring plate and how might I release the tension in it? Also, yes I have a floot jack but I dont see where I can use it. What is a jack plate?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Cover