Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Holy white electrical smoke in the cabin Batman! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
gunlover05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy white electrical smoke in the cabin Batman! Help!

I got in my 85 Carrera just an hour ago, when I was out at lunch and within 50 yards of pulling out of burger king, I smelled somehthing "electrical" and all the sudden had white smelly smoke rolling out of my cabin ventilation!!! shut it off immediately.

With my FE in hand, I checked the trunk and hood without seeing any more smoke. I got back in the car and pushed both heater levers behind the shifter to the off position (had been left in the on position from when I drove there - I didn't have the dial switch above them on either, but wasn't before either) and cranked it and drove 150 yards without any smoke. Parked and checked everything out. Back to the office-

With the ignition switch to on, but car not running, I pulled up one heater lever at a time and heard the normal sound of the aux motors, but got quieter. didn't see/smell much smoke until I pulled both levers and then I could start to see/smell a little smoke. pushed them to the off position. I did see some smoke coming from the engine compartment, and raised the hood to see some coming from behind the alternator fan...cranked the engine with no heater levers on and no smoke...seemed related to heater levers.

My buddy then drove the car for 15 mins (actually rather spiritedly as I wanted him to feel my new cat by-pass/m&K/SW chip) with the heat levers off and we never saw/smelled any smoke from anywhere.

I drove this morning to work with the levers up (no dial on though) with no issues either until lunch.

Does this sound like bad aux heater blowers, the main blower in the engine compartment, wires, OR something else??
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunlover05
Does this sound like bad aux heater blowers, the main blower in the engine compartment, wires, OR something else??
No to the aux heaters because they are in the footwells & smoke would not be in the engine compartment. The rest are all possibles. Remove the main blower & check it with a 12v line as a start.

Ian
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM
gunlover05
Racer

I took my heater blower off tonight and I think I've found the culprit. I tried hooking it up directly to a battery..., nothing. Plugged it back up in the car and wiggled the shaft where it was centered and came on a few seconds, then nothing.

Shaft was VERY wobbly/sloppy and worn near fan per pic.
Took motor apart and 2 pin thingies fell out, couldn't figure out where they came from?
Brushes were worn alot and the whole thing smelled like the white smoke earlier today.
Then the board the brushes are mounted to disentigrated in my hand per the last pic!

I find it odd that the fuse for the motor in the engine compartment didn't blow today before all the smoke??

I think this is my "smoking gun"....now what to do about it? replace motor, backdate to old heat. Put the blower back on and leave unplugged and just use flappers to get heat from alternator fan to get heat?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I hate that smell, lucky for you its a part and not the wiring harness, as the factory installed smoke is next to impossible to get back in once you let it out
Old 01-03-2007, 12:16 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a replacement fan or someone here or on Pelican came up with a lower cost substitute fan option.

Or backdate . . .

Check your footwells & if they work, spend your $s on the tubing required, mod the heater relay & you're backdated.

Leaving the non-working heater in the circuit restricts airflow & (I think) it will open the circuit on the relay & stop the footwells from functioning.

Ian
Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread from the Pelican board might be of interest to you.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Scott
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM
gunlover05
Racer

I'm thinking about doing the "reed valve bypass" in the relay to allow my footwell blowers to work and deleting my blower motor guts in the engine (since it is toast).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...0&pagenumber=4

If I GUT my engine compartment blower motor (and not hook up the 2 pin connector) and put it back on so I still get air flow from the engine to my FW blowers, will this reed bypass on the relay allow the FW blowers to work?

Has anyone here done this?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 AM
gunlover05
Racer

For those here, I fixed my blower with a 914 blower...hope it lasts for a few years.
Tried to copy the new thread link here, but couldn't for some reason

Quick Reply: Holy white electrical smoke in the cabin Batman! Help!