Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starter replacement tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:58 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Starter replacement tips needed

1973 911T 2.4L MFI. Exhaust leaks and now a bad starter. Anyway.... My starter would not disengage from the flywheel after the engine started. So, the starter has burned out. I have picked up a replacement starter and solinoid. Are there any tips or tricks I need to know before removing and replacing the starter? The starter I am replacing is the original starter from 1973. It sure did last.

Thanks,
Scott Harris
1973 911T Targa
2.4L MFI
Old 11-26-2002, 09:12 AM
BoyT-911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott,
Before you disconnect the wiring connections at the starter, make sure that you have disconnected the battery line. I usually make a wiring diagram before I remove the starter. Lastly, make sure that the replacement starter have the same number of terminals as the old ones and of the same size.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:44 AM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THe biggest PITA of this job is the top barrel nut on the starter.

I made a special tool for this, which I believe is a 10mm hex wrench size. I'm at work right now, so I can't check. I believe there is a picture of it on the Pelican BBS, that I'll try and fine for you.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:30 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks guys. The starter comes in tomorrow and I'm installing it on Friday. I've installed dozens of starters on American cars, but this will be my firsy, and hopefully my last time on a Porsche.
So, if I read the posts correctly, there is a bolt on top of the starter that bolts the starter to the engine? Is it even visable? I'm sure I'll be praising the German craftsmenship in a very typical American way during the removal and install.

Scott HArris
1973 911T Targa 2.4L MFI
Old 11-26-2002, 11:55 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I'm speaking from experience on an 81SC, so if they are not the same I hope someone will correct me. Disconnect the battery first, pay attention to the wiring on the starter before you disconnect or take anything apart, you can even label the wires with tape. the bottom nut isn't realy a problem, the top nut on the other hand can be tricky. you will need to use an extension on you ratchet to get to it. The easiest way to get to it I found was to reach up around the top of the tranny, like your hugging it. The first time I did this I was wearing gloves and they kept getting stuck on something and I thought I couldnt get around the thing, trust me theres more than enough room up there to get around it. I also had a different size nut on top than on the bottom, that made things interesting. Before I figured that out I yelled until I ran out four letter words, I now keep a German dictionary in the garage for emergencies like that
anyway good luck,

Quick Reply: Starter replacement tips needed