Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruf Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 01:50 PM
Richard Bernau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ruf Muffler

If memory serves me correctly Ruf made a dual outlet muffler that was basically an OE muffler with a second pipe on the RHS. I can't find any info on it so I wondered if anyone would care to enlighten me in the context of my plans below?

I thought I would replace my standard (euro) pre-muffler and muffler on my 3.2 with something sexy when they wear out but they just won't wear out! Accordingly, I think I will have a second outlet welded to the RHS of my standard muffler. While I don't expect any significant performance improvements, I suspect it may make a different sound (hopefully better) and will look kind of nice. My car has to go to the bodyshop for a tiny spot of rust removal (front windscreen) so why not? Any thoughts?

Richard Bernau
911 3.2
Old 09-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Dean
Instructor

I added a second outlet to my stock SC muffler. I liked it, not to loud and a nice rumble.
Dean
Old 09-25-2002, 04:26 AM
Richard Bernau
Advanced

Talking

Thanks Dean, thats exactly the type of feedback I was after. Confirmation of no ill effects and a nice sound will suit me just fine.

If anyone can allude to a performance improvement then that would just make my day.

Richard Bernau
Old 09-25-2002, 09:06 AM
PMNorris
Intermediate

Hayward and Scott manufacture a dual outlet Stainless exhaust and claim a performance increase
<a href="http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk" target="_blank">www.haywardandscott.co.uk</a>
Old 09-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts
Do any of the rennlisters in the U.K. have any personal experience, or know anyone who has, with the Hayward and Scott exhaust systems for the 3.2. I read an article in 911 and Porsche World last year. I was thinking of the system as a possible alternative to what is sold in the states.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Millzeee
Advanced

i got a quote off them a few months back, the full system is around £1200 i recall.

A little more than i was planning on spending so i think i will be going for a dansk dual out
Old 09-26-2002, 03:45 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you do go with a twin-outlet, Ruf makes a rear valance and corner piece that is made to look exactly like the other side. It doesan't end up looking chopped as most modified pieces do. It looks great since the driver's side corner piece has that diagonal cut as in the driver's side. But instead of being cut, it is formed that way.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:29 AM
Richard Bernau
Advanced

The Haywood & Scott full system looks to be of extremely high quality and good design. It is a proper tubular, tuned, equal length manifold and should produce some extra power. Even if this is not the case, it is also lighter than a standard 3.2-3.6 system as its design is more like the pre-74 system and has no pre-muffler.

If you bought SSIs and a good stainless dual out back-box you would pay not much less than £1200, so it stacks up OK on value for money as well.

The H&S system would be near the top of my list if I needed a whole new exhaust. I don't, so I am just tinkering by getting a second tip added to the OE muffler.

Richard Bernau
(still hoping someone can tell me I will gain a truckload of horsepower and at least 5 seconds a lap with a simple muffler modification!!!)
3.2 911
Old 09-26-2002, 03:23 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi:
I have the OEM muffler with a second outlet added to the right side ( all done by PO).
It seems there may even have been some baffles cut out...not sure. Nice sound but had some resonance at 3000 rpm. Odd...I now added a stainless steel angled, 2.5" diameter "tip" on each side, and the resonance seems gone. I also have a chip , a K&N filter ( in the stock box)..and car was dynoe'd at 200 rear wheel ( ! ) hp. Not bad. Have since added Euro pre-muffler ( Porsche part) in lieu of cat..and this total system supposedly comes "close" to SSI at top end hp, but lacks somewhat at mid range torque. Seems correct. I also have the option to revert back to cat easily, if ever I need to.
I also recently replaced my old valence that was crudely cut out for the right side tip by the PO. I cut out stock valence for the right side, but cut it so the side toward the front of the car mimics the slant of the rocker valence used on the left side. I also "rolled" the cut-out to give some "depth" ( like a wheel lip) to the valence. All "very nice" as it looks more factory rather than a hack job. The angled tips are about at a 43-45 degree angle, and the exhaust now exits straight back. Combining sound, performance , looks and convertability ( back to cat)...I'm very satisfied.
Wil Ferch
85 3.2 Carrera

Quick Reply: Ruf Muffler