Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

low oil quantity reading

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:09 PM
spad01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil quantity reading

Iv'e noticed that my "new" 87 carrera coupe shows oil quantity gage reading in the red when I first start in the morning. Then after about 5 minutes it goes to normal and stays there. Anybody have any idea why it does that and is it normal. Checked dip stick and it's full.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM
zorro1car
Instructor

Default It is normal...so I am told....

The best reading will come after the oil has warmed to operating temp and you are on a level surface. However, I only rely on the actual measurement with the dip stick. Of course, you check the dip stick with the engine running.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 PM
spad01
Instructor

many thanks for the input. I won't worry about then
Old 12-17-2006, 09:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

totally normal operation..
Old 12-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont screw this up I did and ended up adding 3 extra quarts......Stupid me
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 PM
spad01
Instructor

I wound up toping off to the full line....stupid me too
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too. I picked up my 911 in Kansas City and drove it around 1500 miles heading back to LA) before checking the oil at a gas station. The oil level kept showing low (in the red) and I was worried. I fumbled for the dip stick and it was at the minimum. I was concerned and quickly added 2 quarts. Not good but apparently no harm from what I can tell.

The only bummer is that I had a shop in KC do I valve adjustment and the right side is loud. I suspect I will have to have them adjusted again. I thought I was being smart as the 911 was right at 45k miles so I wanted it done before heading back to LA. Oh well.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:04 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should only check it when it is fully warmed up and the engine is running.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The engine is a dry sump, which means that oil is not pumped directly from the bottom of the engine, but rather it is pumped from an auxiliary oil tank that sits at the right rear fender. Oil is sucked from the bottom of the engine by a tandem oil pump. Oil, like any gas or liquid, expands or contracts depending on the temperature of it. The oil level will therefore show very different levels in that tank depending on the temperature. Furthermore, oil is thicker when it is cold, which means that more oil will be sitting at the bottom of the engine until the engine warms up. So the only way to check the oil in your car is after it has warmed up (for about 20 minutes) and with the engine running, on a level surface. And even then, the gauge might be off. The only surefire way to check the oil is with the dipstick
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
spad01
Instructor

my concern was that the engine might be "wet sumping". somehow the oil might be draining back into the crankcase over night and reading red on the gage in the morning, then pumping back into the oil tank after startup and going to normal range on the gage But I obviously am quite mechanically illiterate regarding porsche engines. Thanks for all the comments
Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spad01
my concern was that the engine might be "wet sumping". somehow the oil might be draining back into the crankcase over night and reading red on the gage in the morning, then pumping back into the oil tank after startup and going to normal range on the gage But I obviously am quite mechanically illiterate regarding porsche engines. Thanks for all the comments
Most people don't even look at that gauge, so that tell you how important it is. Of course, oil level is important, I don't mean to say that it isn't, but after a few months of ownership, after checking the oil once every couple of weeks, you'll get a feel for how much oil your car is using (if any), and you won't be worrying about it. My gauge jumps all over the place, but in 3 months, my oil level hasn't changed - it is in the middle of the high & low marks on the dipstick. The dipstick is the only thing that counts in the end...
Old 12-19-2006, 12:05 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Oil does trickle into the cylinders at night, sometimes, but only enough to cause an occasional puff of smoke. The gauge on the dash measures oil sitting in the external tank, not the sump. Keep in mind that when the motor is running, oil is simultaneously draining out of that tank and also being pumped into it. The float gauge is calibrated to be accurate when the car is sitting still on a level surface with the engine running at idle and the engine up to operating temperature (meaning it's been running for about half an hour).

Even so, you'll get slightly different readings based on just how hot the engine is. This actually doesn't have to do with the oil expanding. It has to do with the oil's viscocity improving as it warms up. It runs through all of its paths and passages more easily when everything is up to temp, and returns more quickly to re-fill the tank.

Oil does expand when it heats up, but it's very slight. You'd never be able to see a difference in the reading based on the amount it expands.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Loaded
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah when you over fill I think it seeps in more
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

When you overfill, it gets sucked into the breather lines and the airbox. Then your intake is delivering oil and air to the combustion chambers. Understandably, the local mosquito population hates when this happens.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Oil does trickle into the cylinders at night, sometimes, but only enough to cause an occasional puff of smoke. The gauge on the dash measures oil sitting in the external tank, not the sump. Keep in mind that when the motor is running, oil is simultaneously draining out of that tank and also being pumped into it. The float gauge is calibrated to be accurate when the car is sitting still on a level surface with the engine running at idle and the engine up to operating temperature (meaning it's been running for about half an hour).

Even so, you'll get slightly different readings based on just how hot the engine is. This actually doesn't have to do with the oil expanding. It has to do with the oil's viscocity improving as it warms up. It runs through all of its paths and passages more easily when everything is up to temp, and returns more quickly to re-fill the tank.

Oil does expand when it heats up, but it's very slight. You'd never be able to see a difference in the reading based on the amount it expands.
I agree with everything you said in your post, but you mentioned something that is very interesting in that "it doesn't have to do with the oil expanding."

Your argument about the oil thinning out and draining faster into the bottom of the engine sump does explain how the oil level could change when the engine is hot versus cold. This is one reason why it is preferred to do oil changes when the engine is warm - the oil flow much faster.

But I'd like some more discussion on this oil expansion because if you do a search on here for "oil expansion" or "oil expand" you will see quite a few posts about how oil expands as the temperature increases...

Who is right? My physics background wants to agree with you. If you heat water, for example from 40F to 80F, it does expand, but you're right, it will be negligible and very difficult to measure. Since we're not talking about boiling or freezing points, then it would make sense that oil behaves the same way. But perhaps oil contains other components that causes it to expand and contract differently? I'd like to know if oil expands noticeably when going from, say, 60F to 190F.

Quick Reply: low oil quantity reading