Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Finally selling my beloved 88 coupe, or not?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 10:19 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got your problem solved. Sell the wifes XK8, give her your BMW, buy the C4S, and keep your 88 Carrera. If she really loves you...!
Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel about growing attached to your car - I feel the same way about mine.

If you do decide to sell, maybe a 964 is the answer - not quite as refined as a 993, but has the 3.6, G-50 trans, functional HVAC, etc.

E-mail if you'd like to go for a ride in a 964 (I'm in NW DC).
Old 11-26-2002, 01:23 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

I know how you feel about growing attached to your car - I feel the same way about mine.

If you do decide to sell, maybe a 964 is the answer - not quite as refined as a 993, but has the 3.6, G-50 trans, functional HVAC, etc.

E-mail if you'd like to go for a ride in a 964 (I'm in NW DC).
Old 11-26-2002, 01:52 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Dear Steve,

All the above threads appear to emphasise what I believe- the Carrera 3.2 and the 993 are seriously chalk and cheese, and cannot be compared.

The cars are so different that you will really need to drive the 993 enough to determine if that is what you want.

From a personal perspective, I absolutely love the 993, the shape, the refinement etc (but maybe I am getting a bit long in the tooth). Admittedly, the standard suspension set up is on the soft side, and would require the M030 suspension upgrade at the very least to get it handling less like a grand tourer, but it really is a much "softer" car in standard form than the 3.2 Carrera or even the 964 for that matter.

Given you are from the US, this is not an option, but a 993 RS is something that brings you back to the feel of the older Porsche's- I have a couple of friends who currently run one or used to run one and boy are they raw...perhaps buy a 993, strip out the sound proofing, slap on the M030 ROW suspension, throw out all the interior extras, and you might end up with a nice compromise?

Only you will be able to decide, but I am someone who moved to a 993 (albeit with a 964 in between)and absolutely have no regrets---and hey the C4S and C2S are the most beautiful of them all (especially in polar silver).....I guess you have an idea what colour my 993 is...

Old 11-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stever

Three years ago I bought my '95 993 after owning my '81 SC for 6 years. I kept the SC because I am attached to it the way you are to your '88. The 993 is fabulous. It is clearly developed from the earlier cars, but it has been VERY developed. The basics are the same, but it is much more refined, faster, more stable, etc. It is an absolute thrill, and I think it is still tactile enough to be involving even at semi-sane speeds (I think the 996 is too refined). Nevertheless, I have to go faster in the 993 to have the same level of fun and involvement as I have in the SC. The 993 needs to be closer to the limit to become as involving. It understeers less and oversteers less -- its handling balance is much more neutral and is less sensitive to the throttle. You have to be closer to the limit to be able to "play" with it. The C4S would take this theory even farther -- personally, I think the standard Carrera is more fun because it is rear-drive like the older cars.

I am in grad school now, and I'm trying very hard to be able to keep both 911s until I have an income again. I may not make it, and I have no idea which one I'll keep if I have to sell one.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:13 PM
cmoss

I bought my 993 and kept my '80 SC for ~5 months. It was very hard for me (it was my father's before he passed away) to sell, but the proceeds allowed me to pay off the 993.

But ya know... I keep thinking that I should have kept it. But I miss my dad much more.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Started with a peachy '87 Carrera.

Bought a 993 (a '97 Carrera S), intending to sell the older car, but couldn't part with it. Lived with the two for a while.

Bought another '87 Carrera, this time a track car.

Sold the original '87 Carrera.

Sold the 993.

Now I'm down to one Porsche, the '87 Carrera track car, and I'm happy to stay that way!

At least for now.

You probably shouldn't listen to any advice from me.

Will

Quick Reply: Finally selling my beloved 88 coupe, or not?!