Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

rear seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear seat belts

well I was driving around when I decided to go to my bros house. That's when my nephews, ages 3 & 5, saw my car for the first time and I'll tell ya its great seeing them get excited, just like when I was a kid. So they wanna go for a ride when I realize that there are no rear belts and i broke their little hearts by not taking them for a ride. I know i've seen them in other cars. Should my 74 have rear seat belts and can they be installed if not?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

do a search , there is a VERY recent thread on this from someone with an older car like yours ..
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Bretech
Instructor

thanks! I checked it out and it was some help, but after inspecting my car i could not find any place where seatbelts should go. Can someone help me with a pic to point out the obviuos to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Corrales911
Instructor

Check these guys out: http://www.peparts.com/StoreFront.bok
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Not installed in the 74 cars. We didn't see rear seatbelts until around 1978 with the SC cars. To install them after the fact requires the welding in of bolt-in points in the right places on the underside of the body. This is no simple job.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Not installed in the 74 cars. We didn't see rear seatbelts until around 1978 with the SC cars. To install them after the fact requires the welding in of bolt-in points in the right places on the underside of the body. This is no simple job.
Then to hell with rear seatbelts, I bought this car for me and nobody else. Looks like the boys are gonna have to wait till I get my 993 instead. Bad for them always good for me.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Hmmm. That's odd. I guess the Porsche factory messed up with my '73 when they installed the reat seat belt points (no shoulder harness point though).

I bought a set of lap belts from www.peparts.com, and installed them myself.

Chances are the points are under your carpet in the rear. This shot gives you an idea of the location in my car.

If you look in you rear wheel wheel, you will see the outer reinforcing for the belt mount point.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think Harry is correct; the mounting points are there, under the carpet. They most likely have a plastic cap on them. Using Harry's picture as a guide, just pull up the carpeting and you'll likely find them.

Since your '74 doesn't have airbags, you might also consider giving your nephews (one at a time) a ride while sitting in the front seat. That way they get the benefit of a 3 point belt. My son started riding in the front seat of my '85 as a 5 year old, though I have since added 3-point belts in the rear, but he's too big to fit there now (as an 11 year old).

Quick Reply: rear seat belts