Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fiberglass Sparetop

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 03:01 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Fiberglass Sparetop

Does anyone have any experience with the fiberglass sparetop being offered on Ebay and Porsche Excellence Magazine and is it worth the $350 (delivered)? You feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2002, 05:30 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Check out the 911 BBS on the Pelican Parts website. Some of the people there either have them or know someone who does. You could even do a search as they have come up a few times before and so there are a few threads you could read.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:28 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fassi--
My recollection is that it still hasn't had all the bugs worked out yet. One or two guys on the Pelican board have actually bought it and have been working with the guy making them to 'perfect' it.

Once they get it right, I (would think) there may be a surge to get these.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:45 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Hello,

Is there any news on the "Fiberglass Sparetop" being offered by Sundial? Is this a quality item, does in buckle under high speeds, and how does it attach exactly (the so-called instructions I received from the manufacturer don't quite make it clear)? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:12 PM
bship
Intermediate

I purchased one to use for track events and it works very well. I did some slight modification with different guide bolts and added some rubber seals. Very light and looks prety good from a distance. Dont expect perfection for $350.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:21 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. How exactly is it attached and what sort of seals did you add?
Old 10-16-2002, 08:31 PM
bship
Intermediate

It uses guide bolts for the rear sides but not the middle. No problem because the top barely weighs 5lbs if that. The front is mounted through the guides on the front right and left corners. You have to put a small hole through your fabric but you will never notice it. I added a piece of stick on weather stripping(maybe 3/4 inch long) on the front driver corner because it hissed a little bit at high speeds. As someone mentioned earlier sure some mods could be made but that would drive the price up. Its great for my purpose but it doesnt look as good as your OEM. Hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:17 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Thanks. My plan is to sand off the pebble finish and have the "sparetop" painted body color. Do you think that would work? Also, do you think it would be possible to somehow attach the original fasteners to the sparetop to make it latch on like an OEM top?
Old 10-21-2002, 02:36 PM
bship
Intermediate

The fiberglass is to thin to attach original hdwr. I myself do not believe the quality of the top merits the time spent sanding nor the cost of repainting. As I mentioned from a distance it looks ok. Upclose it is evident that it is not original.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:47 PM
mikeporsche1990
Intermediate

Red face

I just bought one 3 weeks ago. it does not fit tight at all. I guess I can add some weatherstripping to it (or use it as an expensive sled for my kids this winter).
Is it safe?? i don't know i have not used it, i think i need to do some work on it. i am worried the front bolts will come off at high speed with high wind if the fit is not tight???
I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has modified their sparetop.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Sparetop