Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Instrument cluster - Battery warning light does not come on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Default Instrument cluster - Battery warning light does not come on.

I noticed this the last time I lost the fan belt - the Batt warning light did not come on. Now that I think about it, the light doesn't come on when I first switch on the car before starting it. Anyone know if the bulb is replaceable on this gauge before I go digging into it?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I would imagine it is . you should be able to just pull out the instrument you are looking at and check , can't remember which one the "gen" light is in though.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
I would imagine it is . you should be able to just pull out the instrument you are looking at and check , can't remember which one the "gen" light is in though.
Dumb question, since I'm sure it's in the manual and/or documented in the forum, but how does the instrument come out? Through the front, I hope?
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 AM
zorro1car
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is another good reason to install a Volt meter gauge (VDO).....I installed mine in the console below the air conditioning switches.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

The guage actually is just press fit in and pulls right out the front. Some of them are tight. I got one to come out easily then reached through the hole in the dash and pushed out the others. I have heard you can pry one out with a couple of spoons but i did not need to .

as a point of interest with my voltmeter when i run the car it always shows 14.25 for the first few minutes while it tops up the battery and settles in at 13.75.

One thing to keep in mind for the bulbs that trips up everyone the first time. the bulbs that backlight the instruments are set into holders. you need a swiss army knife type blade to pry up the very edge of the holder ( it doesn't even look like a holder the ridge is so small. ) as for the actual warning lights I am not sure but may be similar.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
The guage actually is just press fit in and pulls right out the front. Some of them are tight. I got one to come out easily then reached through the hole in the dash and pushed out the others. I have heard you can pry one out with a couple of spoons but i did not need to .

as a point of interest with my voltmeter when i run the car it always shows 14.25 for the first few minutes while it tops up the battery and settles in at 13.75.

One thing to keep in mind for the bulbs that trips up everyone the first time. the bulbs that backlight the instruments are set into holders. you need a swiss army knife type blade to pry up the very edge of the holder ( it doesn't even look like a holder the ridge is so small. ) as for the actual warning lights I am not sure but may be similar.

Good luck.
Thank you - I'll give it a try and report back

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster - Battery warning light does not come on.