Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Red lever on dash stuck / dash fan squeal ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:22 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Red lever on dash stuck / dash fan squeal ...

Problem #1:
My red lever (warm air distribution) on the dash sticks and it takes a lot of pressure to get it to move off the resting position to the left. I have tried working it back and forth and leaving it in different spots. It doesn't seem to matter - it ultimately sticks after not being moved after even 5 minutes. Any suggestions on how to loosen up the mechanism. I am assuming it is the cable.

Problem #2:
In the morning (when it is cold (in So. Cal. that is in the low 50s :-)) when I up up on the floor heat levers (by the seat) I get a squeal from the fan. I turn it on / off a couple of times and it then disappears. It seems to happen more on the driver side. Anyway, it does not occur once it the weather warms up. Any suggestions on whether lubrication is the answer. If so, what type and where would I apply it.

Thanks again. At least my list of projects on this new purchase is steadily declining!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. I have an 89 911 cab and all warm / cold air function.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:35 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AJmarton, those cables are attached to the fresh air system up under the dash and behind the black cover in the trunk. You may have a cable binding or it needs to be adjusted. I suggest you pull the center carpet out and remove the cover (usually has 4 phillips head screws) and see what the mechanism does when someone moves the cables for you. It may be there is a flapper inside unit that is binding. I would trace the cable for the Red heater deflector to see what it does.....maybe it is rusty or binding. Lubricating it would probably also help. I've reworked so many of these over the years that it seems easy, but as we know, when first doing something, proceed with caution and do the simple testing first. That whole unti can be removed and disassembled. If you have the manual(s) it should guide you when removing & replacing (R&R) Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Red lever on dash stuck / dash fan squeal ...