Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

convertible top repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:58 PM
vega
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top repair

I have a '95 993 cab and the top has a small rip 9 (about 3 inches) and the rear window has turned a little yellow. Other than that the top is in perfect condition.

I was told replacing the top would cost aroun $1,700 so i was wondering if anyone has any better prices and a recommended shop around the Newport Beach CA area.

I'm also thinking about just adding a patch and replacing the rear plastic window. Does anyone have any suggestions and cost info.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced the top on my cab. Ran about $1200 (OEM materials & headliner). Fabulous job by local company! My top is actually a 2 piece top, it is possible to replace only the rear glass area on mine, uncertain about the 993! A piece of good sticky tape on the inside over the 3 inch rip may work for a while!

Last edited by IslandmanPA; 12-02-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I was told replacing the top would cost aroun $1,700
I recently replaced the top on my cab. Ran about $1200
Take the money and RUN......
I have a 87 cab. Dealer wanted nearly $5000!!?
Bought a new aftermarket top for $500.00, quality was almost as good as OE.
A well know qualified top installer (he's done many 911's and later, in our area) wanted $2200-2500. I decided to try it myself. 40 hours later I learned my lesson. Though it looks great I can think of a dozen golf courses I could have enjoyed with the 40 hours. See if you can find someone who used the $1700 shop and check out his work. If it looks good and the fella will warranty his work... GO FOR IT it!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just replaced the top on my 88 cab, $1634.00 3 days turn around. They did a beautiful job. This price included the material, labor and warranty. My MF cat tore a 10in gash in the old one.

This particular shop does all the tops for the local dealers Porsche Audi Jag etc.... I had my Mercedes @ the body shop when I inquired and they were recommended. I went for a visit so they could take a look at it. While I was there, they patched the hole (free of charge) which was so good I could have lived with the repair indefinately. Not sure where you are located but if you live anywhere near CT, I would recommend 'Redan' in Wethersfield, CT.

Brgds, Peter
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't waste all this $. I had just the clear window replaced on my old Boxster and it cost $350. The top was fine other than the glass was turning yellow. They just "ripped" the seam out of the old and stitched in the new. Three day turn around. Done.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:24 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also some manufacturers can replace the plastic with glass. If you are going to replace the entire top.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:49 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just make sure you buy a high quality knock off, the thing about a 993 top is the rear window is melted in place on the O.E. top, we had a special jig to do it, too long and it would melt through, too short and it wouldn't hold, we did a couple a year, but mostly had a top guy come out and do a aftermarket top, the thing you want to look for is the stiching, thats what matters, if they sit out in the sun, the cheap stiching comes apart, not good.

As far as Boxster tops, rear window is easy, the cleaner stuff works ok from Porsche, the only time I have seen trouble with replacing a back window in these is if the car sits in the sun alot and the top shrinks, then its damn near impossible to get in

Quick Reply: convertible top repair