No Spark - '82 SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002 | 07:16 PM
mark sides
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post No Spark - '82 SC

Guys,

I am in the process of buttoning everything back up in my '82 SC after an extended period (2 years) of "engine on stand" syndrome.

Everything is in place and the car cranks nicely but won't fire. No spark. I believe the problem to be something in the distributor trigger wire circuit (green wire back to wiring harness). I had to replace the wire as I broke the connector when I removed he distributor. I fished a piece of broken plastic out of the "port" the wire connects into and the new connector seems to seat well.

I spliced in a new wire and verified continuity of both the shielded and unshielded wires AND that I did not switch them when I did the splice. I think the problem must be with the distributor itself.

The Bentley manual talks of an ohm value at the leads for the trigger wire on the distributor. I assume that is a static distributor-on-bench test value. Should I be trying to read that as pulses while the engine is cranking? The meter returns no value with dizzy on the bench.

Am I missing another easy test here or does the distributor need tearing down?

Thanks,
Old 03-06-2002 | 10:57 PM
Bob Kontak
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try permatune's website. They have a nice troubleshooting guide, providing you have a multimeter.

Quick Reply: No Spark - '82 SC