Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Coupe car door seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
yogi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe car door seal

OK, so am I missing something? I know I'm not a complete idiot. I bought a replacement coupe door seal for my driver side door. I removed to old one without any problems. It was torn in several places from where your feet go into the car. The door use to shut easily. I installed the new one with weather strip glue. I made sure the air holes were exposed similar to the passenger side. Now the door doesn't clsoe easily. You have to almost slam it. After a couple of weeks I removed it and it's still all in one piece. I have tried installing it right now without the glue to see if I can find a way to have it fit, and have the door close easily. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing to installing it correctly? thanks,

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 11-28-2006, 08:30 PM
ned903
Intermediate

Jerry,
Congratulations! It sounds like you successfully installed the seal the first time! I recently did the driver’s door on my ’87 coupe and had the same surprise as to how tight the new seal was. I have come to the conclusion that the new seal is that much of an improvement. Like you it took a deliberate effort to close the door after the replacement. This seems to get slightly better after a few weeks. I feel so positive about this improvement that a seal for the passenger door hangs in my shop waiting a warm weekend.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
mark '87 930
Instructor

Just out of curiousity.. were there any improvements to windnoise and/or whistling above 80mph after you replaced the seal?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
yogi
Advanced

Thanks for the information ned903. I have noticed no difference in wind noise. I never had a whistling problem. I do notice more road noise with the 911 as compared to my other cars.

Jerry Baer
87 coupe
Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 AM
ned903
Intermediate

Jerry,
A certain amount of noise is just part of the experience. My driver's side seal had cuts and gaps. The replacement tightened everything up and did cut the noise noticeably.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seal is noticeably thicker than the old one, but will loosen up over time. If you live in a warm climate, the process will go quicker....cold climate will be slower. Mark 87 930, if you have a sunroof car, the noise will be higher just like a Targa. Noise emanates up the sunroof cable vent holes and other areas on the car.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
mark '87 930
Instructor

Actually, I do have a sunroof... but the whistling I hear is seemingly coming from the door.. although I must admit, it's not easy to pinpoint as you are increasing your speed!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:15 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, make sure the door is adjusted correctly and all the edges mate to the seal as they are supposed to. There are also some felt strips around the windows that may affect or cause the noise. One question, did you have the noise prior to changing the door seals?

Quick Reply: Coupe car door seal