Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976' 911 Targa Slantnose? Real or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 PM
dave1200
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret928
Ok so it seems pretty obvious that this is an kit. I guess the next bit of information I need to get for my neighbor is “what’s it worth?”

Im my opinion.. Id say its woth half as much as a Same year original car in same condition. As others have said.. Its worth more in parts.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave1200
Im my opinion.. Id say its woth half as much as a Same year original car in same condition. As others have said.. Its worth more in parts.
Man I hate to hear people saying stuff like that.
Someone put a bunch of time, attention and money into that car........misguided as it may have been.
With a 3.0l motor and the (apparently fiberglass) body parts attached, that car probably has a fantastic HP/weight ratio.

For not a lot of money someone could have a TON of fun on the track with that puppy. Ask me how I know.
Targas being bad on the track is crap, and if you are really serious put in a cage and problem solved.
I would make a low ball offer, take it home, go to the track and have a blast.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:42 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

targas on the track flex alot, I remember having them, or a cab on the hoist, and not being able to open the doors easily.....................
Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Bret928
Drifting

I still like what a guy on another forum said where I cross threaded this post:

"If it was mine Id just drive it into the ground and forget about it!"
At the end of the day this may be my final advice to my friend.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:28 AM
dave1200
Pro

Originally Posted by DanS911
Man I hate to hear people saying stuff like that.
Someone put a bunch of time, attention and money into that car........misguided as it may have been.
With a 3.0l motor and the (apparently fiberglass) body parts attached, that car probably has a fantastic HP/weight ratio.

For not a lot of money someone could have a TON of fun on the track with that puppy. Ask me how I know.
Targas being bad on the track is crap, and if you are really serious put in a cage and problem solved.
I would make a low ball offer, take it home, go to the track and have a blast.

I dont disagree with you.. Its just that the value of the car goes out the window when you do thinsg like this. It it were a coupe..or at least made to look exactly like the factory deal in the mid 80's.. I think it would not hurt it so much.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of thoughts.

First of all, it's free, so the cost of entry is reasonable. Does it run?

The AC controls are on the vent assemblies under the dash in the center on either side of the ash tray. This is the way Porsche used to do AC. With all of those vents it actually works pretty well. I had a factory installed system like this on my ex-73.5 911 T. It could be charged and might actually work or could be completely upgraded for around $1,500 if you do the work yourself.

Yes, it's a Slantnose conversion, but so what? There were some very expensive steel conversions done very nicely. Are the fenders steel or fibeglass (not the spoiler, the fenders)? One interesting thing I noticed is the boxed rockers have jack ports (the holes at least). These aren't normally included on Slantnose conversions. The boxed rockers required extensive factory modification of the jack ports to move them out to the edge of the extended rocker. Has that been done with this car (would signal a top notch conversion) or not (the ports themselves are a few inches back from the holes)? If not, the rockers are probably factory pieces, again not bad. The headlights are the older style conversion square ones but again, so what?

The spoiler is just a fiberglass piece you can still get today, or you can replace it with something different orthe factory pieces if there is no center oil cooler added under there.

Oh, and the multi-piece BBS wheels, if authentic, were expensive and high-quality pieces too. This car could have had some significant investment in its past.

With a little TLC and a service, this might be a decent, good looking driver with little initial investment. But remember the old addage -- there is no such thing as an inexpensive Porsche. It could need all sorts of odds 'n ends like any other Porsche of this vintage -- bushings, tie rods, shocks, stuff that needs replacement with age. Still, with zero cost up front, could be doable.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a good point, If he want's drive it till something breaks thats more than he wants to spend, then part it, that old thing could give a year or two of service, who knows!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Theres only one problem with driving it into the ground .... it's a 3.0litre SC motor.... might take a while .. :-)
Old 12-20-2006, 11:10 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

The vin. designates '76 so depending on when the engine 3.0 was placed in it and how many miles the engine had on it when it replaced the original 2.7 it could take a real long while to kill it.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:21 PM
jerryskids
AutoX

Not true. Vic Edelbrock had a red slant nose convertible. published stories about how he was able to get it. white interior like most of his ordered cars. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rsche-yep.html
others has slant nose. other years. from the factory.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM
jerryskids
AutoX

There was a targa slantnose in NH that belonged to Robert Gurnsey, inventor of paintball. It was a 1976 but was purchased wrecked. Gurnsey had the car cut in half and a new 1988 front piece welded on. The builder changed the 88 VINS to the 1976 VIN. Nice job I'm told. Car had a real 2.7 Carrera RS engine.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

After 13 years I doubt anyone really cares...................
The following users liked this post:
Ralph3. (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: 1976' 911 Targa Slantnose? Real or Not?