Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Re paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM
bourgeois911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is getting finished up as I write. The paint and materials was $811, a local glass shop is charging $250 to remove and replace all glass and I have about $250 in new seals, gaskets, washer nozzles, etc. Add to that an estimated 120 hours of labor and that should get you in the ballpark. I dis-assembled most of the panels myself and found a local body guy who is currently laid off from a dealership, I expect to save a significant amount of dough over the $7500-$8000 I was quoted at 2 local shops in my area. I've seen other examples of this guy's work and I am impressed with the stuff that's done on my vehicle so far. I hope to have pics of the completed job next week. There was no rust or body repair involved and there were no surprises found after dis-assembly.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The wildcard here is the environment the car gets painted in and the tools this guy has. A first class paint booth has some value over a residential garage. I'm not saying that's what the layed off guy is doing, but I've seen good painters in not-so-good conditions, and the results were less than spectacular. I hope it turns out to your liking.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Paint booth for rent

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The wildcard here is the environment the car gets painted in and the tools this guy has. A first class paint booth has some value over a residential garage. I'm not saying that's what the layed off guy is doing, but I've seen good painters in not-so-good conditions, and the results were less than spectacular. I hope it turns out to your liking.
+1 on the paint booth. I have a friend who is a good body guy that had his own place but had to give it up and get a regular job to make ends meet. He now rents a booth on a per job basis so maybe the layed off guy has the same deal. If not, maybe he should ask around. It makes sense since a body shop can't typically keep a booth going 24/7. I'm going to give my friend a chance to bid on mine when I get that far along.

Quick Reply: Re paint