Old 11-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Last good cleanup

I had my 88 Targa detailed yesterday...a link for your viewing pleasure

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album568

The detailing was done by a fellow Rennlister...for those that live in the NJ area I recommend him highly...
Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful... Is that original paint? Also where in NJ?

Thx
Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rg588911
Beautiful... Is that original paint? Also where in NJ?
I do the detailing in Northern New Jersey (Ho-Ho-Kus). Please email me if you are interested in setting something up: RogueM3@gmail.com

As I told Steve, and Im sure he could tell just from my gawking at his car...the car is utterly BEAUTIFUL. It came into the shop already VERY clean, which allowed me to focus on the small problem areas and really take the shine of his car to the next level.

Here is a gallery containing most of my recent details:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album558

Thanks for the opportunity to clean your car Steve...it was a pleasure.

-Richard Harden
Old 11-27-2006, 02:26 PM
GeneralTso
Instructor

Wow...That M3 is beautiful!

(...as is your Targa, Steve...)
Old 11-27-2006, 09:18 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by GeneralTso
Wow...That M3 is beautiful!
Thanks, its been a work-in-progress for the past 3 years, and is finally finished. (as I am adding another project). I detailed the M3 too..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The paint on the Targa is original. Only additions are the 930 steering wheel and the polished Fuchs 7x16 and 9x16.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
m491driver
Advanced

How does he get your Targa top looking like that? Must some special kind of dressing.
Jim
Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by m491driver
How does he get your Targa top looking like that? Must some special kind of dressing.
Being an enthusiast myself, im not one to keep product secrets (that and I know most of the look is the result of user skill)

The Rear portion (un-removable) of the targa top is polished with Klasse AIO (All in One). Its great for paint cleanup, oxidation removal, exterior plastic and vinyl dressing, etc, etc,

The removable portion of the targa top is cleaned using Raggtop Convertible Cleaner and then dressed with 303 Aerospace Fabric/Vinyl Protectant (they advertise it as "SPF 40 for your stuff"

Hope that helps. Feel free to post any other questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Bearded Viking
AutoX

Can you visit the West Coast?! Great job on the detail! Paint looks wet!

Fantastic P-car too!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Bearded Viking
AutoX

BTW, I want to try Klasse AIO (All in One) on the Targa Bar. It has a bit of oxidation and I'm hoping to remove that and restore a bit of the black. Any tips for the targa bar?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:36 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearded Viking
BTW, I want to try Klasse AIO (All in One) on the Targa Bar. It has a bit of oxidation and I'm hoping to remove that and restore a bit of the black. Any tips for the targa bar?
Well, its pretty much good for any surface, so you dont need to worry about masking anything off. If you have a buffer, a polishing pad with some AIO should remove the oxidation and leave a nice matte finish on the bar. If you are going at it by hand...use a fair amount of pressure on a towel and see if you cant get it to cut through the oxidation. Water or Moisture acts to make polishes more aggressive, so I would use a slightly damp towel by hand or a primed (read: misted) pad by machine.

Steve's bar was done by hand, though it had no serious defects or oxidation. Even if the AIO doesnt remove the oxidation, it will still leave the bar looking good.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Being an enthusiast myself, im not one to keep product secrets (that and I know most of the look is the result of user skill)

The Rear portion (un-removable) of the targa top is polished with Klasse AIO (All in One). Its great for paint cleanup, oxidation removal, exterior plastic and vinyl dressing, etc, etc,

The removable portion of the targa top is cleaned using Raggtop Convertible Cleaner and then dressed with 303 Aerospace Fabric/Vinyl Protectant (they advertise it as "SPF 40 for your stuff"

Hope that helps. Feel free to post any other questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them.
Since you asked, wax or polish? I've only used wax but I'm hearing alot about polish lately.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:03 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by m491driver
Since you asked, wax or polish? I've only used wax but I'm hearing alot about polish lately.
Polishes and waxes are designed to perform very different jobs.

A polish is designed to eliminate surface defects (like swirl marks or oxidation) through the use of abrasives which minimally level the clear coat.

Wax is designed to provide a barrier of protection for the paint from said defects, harmful UV rays (fading), acid rain, hard water spots , etc.

This said, some waxes are known to have decent filling capabilities (just masking a problem, not removing it)...

I stay away (especially as a professional) from masking any problems, as the customer isnt paying to be tricked or made to think the swirls are gone when they arent. This masking is generally done by amateurs who find it easier to use a glaze and hide defects they couldnt remove, than it would be for them to take the time and effort to full remove them.

Hope that helps, and by all means feel free to ask anything else on your mind...

PS: I have updated my gallery with new pics in some of the older galleries, as well as an Album of my M3: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/album558
Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard,

Thank you for your offer to answer any Q's. I had a black 81 SC Targa, which, after much work, came up very nicely,and with the black, was much more dramatic when finished than the 88 silver Carrera which I now own. Am I correct that the Carrera has a 'clear coat'? And if so, what would you recommend I do re: polish/wax? The car has been tracked extensively, so there are a lot of stone chips, but considering the track use, the paint is in pretty good condition. I was first going to use some 3M Glaze, and then use Blitz wax (leftover from the black SC). Your thoughts? Thank you in advance
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice work I have been wondering what to use on the targa bar. I'll give AIO a shot. If you;re ever down in NC please let me know.

Quick Reply: Last good cleanup