Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Value of a 1984 911 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:31 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a 1984 911 Carrera?

My neighbor is selling a 1984 Carrera, silver, with 36k original miles on it. The steering wheel and stereo have been changed from original but otherwise it is stock. Does not appear to have had any body work or paint work done to it. Tires and wheels are in nice shape. What is a car like this worth? He is asking 25K. Any input would be appreciated.

Flash
Old 11-25-2006, 12:52 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Sports Car Market guide says $!6k - 18k with no mention for mileage. I would get PML - http://www.pmletter.com/
Old 11-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Is it available for inspection?
Consider paying for a closer look if the asking price doesn't kill it for you.
I personally could not justify that much for an 84 in Los Angeles. There are far too many of them that have had upgrades already done for far less.
Low mileage is not always a good thing to an old car, it could be bad. Although it's a good indication of it being well kept and cared for.
If this one is out of the budget, or isn't the "gotta havit" car, then keep looking regardless of price.
I'll bet that within a year, you will have the car that you are looking for without compromise.
This is Los Angeles; there are tons of them here from totally ****ty to excellent condition that people are trying to sell. If this one isn't right, there is a reason.
Buying your first remotely affordable dreamcar is more exciting than I can recall, but patience will yeild its' reward.
+++
Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Bought my '84 Cab w/ 50k, a couple of mods (chip, momo wheel, short shifter), very pretty but needed a few minor things, & has the 1-2 trans shift annoyances, for $19.5k November '04. I've put over $6k into her on the minor issues along with wants like roll bar, wheels & tires, exhausts, & maintenance since.

Seems high to me for stock, unless the thing's completely showroom.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my fully optioned 84 targa with a spun rod bearing for $4K, I will be done with it in probably 6 months, tip to tail, fresh motor put back to STD balanced within a gram with upgrades, trans rebuild with upgrades, brakes, suspension, upgraded everything. If I sell it, it will be around $25K, but it will be new tip to tail with the best oif everything one of the nicest around

A low mileage car is just problems waiting to happen, seals dry up and leak, fuel tank gets filled with crud, If you start driving it, set aside a few grand, or more to fix leaks.

Like stated above, here in SoCal, there are plenty of 84-89 911's, some beauties, some roaches, keep looking and remember to have a PPI done before you buy
Old 11-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

A good Carrera should run between $16 and $20, depending on the location in the US. A car with $36k on the clock should run even higher, but I would pay $22k and feel like I was getting a good deal.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:43 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a good buy or not. Get a PPI from a garage he doesn't use. Since it's been sitting more than driving, get the head studs checked. Like any 22 year old car - especially a Porsche - there will be stuff it needs. Budget for it.

Ian
Old 11-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Actually the 84 Carrera Coupe is worth $25.5K in excellent condition according to Bruce Anderson from Excellence Magazine. This one if all other things are equal, plus clean CarFax, and no modifications would be used to the usual 10% more.
The market for Porsche is better in California than the rest of the country so he may not be out of line. Mine is an '84 Coupe with 55K miles 9.5 interior, 10 exterior, 9.5 driveline and I paid $22.7K It is what would be considered excellent condition. It appraised at $27K
There are a lot of cars out there cheaper than that. Buying a "perfect" car with very low miles creates a dilemma of its own. Should you drive it or wrap it in plastic? It might not be the right car for you...
Rob
Old 11-26-2006, 06:01 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The California market is funny, especialy here in Socal. Here you have people with plenty of money to buy nice Porsches as older garage queens get sold for a newer garage queen, the supply of Cream Puff Porsches seems endless, but the really nice ones go quick because people down here know how hard a truely well kept car still is to find, and have the cash to spend at the drop of a hat.

Since you are in O.C., you can take your neighbors car to my old work, Vision Motorsports and have it checked out. 949.770.2888, ask for Victor.

Quick Reply: Value of a 1984 911 Carrera?