Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch moan - is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch moan - is this normal?

My clutch makes a short and low moan as I ease into first and I was wondering if this is a normal characteristic or if this is the telltale sign of another developing problem? The PPI was clean. Any thoughts (I have a newly purchased 89 911 cab)?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 84 about 5 years ago, but IIRC, mine "moaned" also. I always assumed it was the helper spring at the tranny. I had the car for 8 years w/o any problems.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

"As you ease into first..." I'm not sure what that means. Is the car still stationary when you hear the noise, or has the car begun to move? Or do you hear the noise only when the pedal is fully depressed? Or do you only hear the noise as you are moving the gear lever into first?
Pete
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 87-89 doesn't have the spring at the tranny as it is a hydraulic set-up. I don't recall my 88 Carrera moaning, but when I take off in first, there is a little shift rod noise that emanates through the rod from the tranny (tranny rattle). If I hold onto the shift **** firmly , it is barely noticable and doesn't do it all the time. I believe it is inherent in the 87-89 Carrera's with the G50 tranny.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Peter - the car is at a stop and the clutch is in and the shifter is in first. Then I release the clutch. As I let it out I hear a moan. I thought it was the front rotors but it only seems to happen when I am releasing the clutch. Sometimes I do hear a noise that sounds like pebbles in a tin can. Not sure what that is all about. I guess my problem is figuring out what are normal sounds vs problem sounds. For example, I think the valves are clicking too loud but I just had the 45k valve adjustment so I assume it is just my unfamiliarity with the 911.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

aj: I have a little extra money available to bet that you're hearing the front brake pads dragging. A "moan" just as the car starts to move on your year car is classic. The first thing to do, especially if they're still original, is to replace the brake fluid hoses - one per corner of the car. These should be done every ten years or 100K miles, whichever is first. If that doesn't fix the problem you will have to reseal the front brake calipers in order to allow them to retract properly following release of the brake pedal.
Pete
Old 11-17-2006, 03:46 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete. I believe you are on the money and will have that checked out. I bought your book before I purchased the 911 and it really helped me out. I also purchased the 101 projects and Buckley books. Do you or others have any other suggestions on what to read to get up to speed on deferred maintenance issues related to 911s? My 89 only has 46k miles and 2k miles of that was me driving it back to Los Angeles from Kansas City. I want to make sure that everything that needs to be done is done. All routine maintenace has been done but what else should I check for?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Do a search and you just might find a link to a Bently Manual posted here recently . It is a big file but well worth downloading ...

Quick Reply: Clutch moan - is this normal?