Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carrera Air filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a spare box. I got a whole AFM + box from a PCA ad for $100.

It does sound good & just look at all the room!

Ian

Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, holes in the box give that rush, growley sound. open box is just plain loud.
bungees? I guess so. I shouldn't dis the bungees, I had one on my afm to hold the plastic cover on while I was waiting for the silicone to dry. It'll work.
Good to try and see if you like the sound difference.

yes I had the stock, and the holes, and the open box.

open box is best for working on the car.

turbo upgrade is better than anything else, for the price of 60 K&N's you can get a turbo kit. I think. Maybe 65
Old 11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
for the price of 60 K&N's you can get a turbo kit. I think. Maybe 65
Haha. I take it that you're still loving it, Jerry?

Ian
Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Tetra84
Advanced

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
turbo upgrade is better than anything else, for the price of 60 K&N's you can get a turbo kit. I think. Maybe 65
so, tell us more about this turbo upgrade, was it hard to do? how much more horsepower do you get? I might be interested..
Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Folks,

Thank you all for your replies. The key is, as Tetra said, "patience". I have the "sawn off" airbox, but also XL hands, so it took a loooong time before I could latch on the airbox frame. The situation was complicated by the inside top clip - the only one w/o the moulded plastic piece over the metal clip - coming off. Finally, after I crimped it down w/ pliers, did it stay on when snapped into place.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes I still love it Ian, It's working great. I'm trying to get a dyno day schedualed, it's just difficult with my job. Plus I have to drive an hour to the dyno. And then there's the IC and tail for it, and paint.
for those who havent seen it, here's the install thread http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=300695

tetra, proto's stage one chip is quoted at 350 hp @.5 bar If I gained 100 hp.. I'm happy. I'll have hard numbers in a couple months, Dec or Jan
Old 11-05-2006, 11:20 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep us posted, Jerry. A lot of us are interested.

Ian
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I finally found a spare airbox cover on Pelican for my 3.2. I sawed it off rather than drilling holes in it. It definitely sounds much better (louder) than stock, but only at WOT. I have previously done the research on weather or not this actually adds any power and figured that it probably made no real difference, but interestingly, I found an old Panorama article (August 2000) where a tech article explains the mod. Below is a transcript:

Q: This is a question about the power flow and MSBS type or air cone in filters. Is there a real gain in having any one of those on a fairly stock 3.2?

Jerry Woods: A: I have done some work on this. I had a stock 3.2 motor on the dyno and was running it without an air cleaner. I thought this would be interesting. I put the air cleaner back on and we lost a little power. At that time Automotion was in business in their former facility which was about ten miles away from us. I knew the general manager and he lived nearby and he brought a K&N filter over for me to try. He stood there was watched while I tried it because that was one of their big product lines. We found the same power as with the paper element. We did find that by taking a two-inch hole saw and putting three two-inch holes in the outside plastic cover, it was like there was no air cleaner. All of a sudden the power came up. There was virtually no difference between the K&N and the paper. I strongly recommend the paper elements for road going cars. They do the best job of filtering out the fine small dust-type particulates. Protect your engine. K&Ns are nice; yes, you can wash them out but they take a lot of maintenance to do a good job. They are suited for a race car but not for a road going car in my estimation. That's how I see it.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It just gets easier after the 10th time....

Quick Reply: Carrera Air filter replacement