Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Red dot on wheel stud mistery solved.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '86 911 had the red dots. My '90 964 definitely has the red dots too.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My car shakes a bit over 70 regardless of tires [new, old] it seems. I've tried to see this paint on one of the studs, but wasn't able to before. Maybe I'll look again.

todd
86 coupe
Old 11-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossT
regardless of tires [new, old]
Have your rims checked too. They could be very slightly bent (unnoticeable to the naked eye) and could cause some runout that exposes itself at higher speeds.

I've had brake discs that were rusted enough to cause balance problems as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:17 PM
dvkk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a very bizzare wheel balance problem many years ago with my 84 944. It had a vibration that could be felt in the seat of the pants at speeds between 90 and 100 mph. This indicated a wheel balance problem with a rear wheel. I had all 4 balanced and the problem was solved. Then about a week later it was back. An inspection showed none of the wheel weights had fallen off. The wheels were rebalanced, and this time I applied a paint mark on the tire at the valve stem. Over the next week, one of the rear tires was rotating on the wheel! I watched it for a month until it stopped at close to 180º off. Then I took the offending wheel off the car and had the tire shop break the bead. I rotated the tire back to alignment and reseated it. The balance was perfect again, and this time the tire stayed put. My guess is that the lube the tire shops use on the bead was still present and allowed the tire to turn.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a thread here recently on tires rotating on the rim, but it was basically at the track. Sticky tires and too much lube during mounting can cause the problem because it probably doesn't dry completely.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

I found a red and yellow dot, side by side near the stud. I never paid attention to this before. Just line up the valve stem with that stud. I will give it a shot.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Wheel bolts were introduced with the 996 and are not applicable to wheel balancing issues of the earlier 911s and other Porsche models fitted with steel wheel studs using wheel nuts.
This discussion is therefore not directly applicable to 996s or 997s unless you fill the spokes up with ice then your wheels will wobble at around 80kph (50 mph). I have personally experienced this on more than one Porsche and also using a number of different wheel types over the years.
If Porsche uses a specific procedure in their workshop and owners manuals related to installing something I strongly recommend it be followed especially when related to safety items. Porsche put the red dot on the wheel stud for a reason.
Ciao,
Adrian.

I should have said weight the older lock and compare it to the aluminum nuts.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

My 88 owner's manual states: When mounting tyres pre-fitted on rims, ensure that the coloured wheel bolt is nearest to the valve. Always screw the lock-up wheel nut onto this coloured bolt.

A "normal" aluminum wheel nut weighs just shy of 1 oz. The "open end" wheel nut weighs .75 oz. The "lock" that slips over the wheel nut weighs 1 oz.

I correctly orientated my street tires when I swapped them back on after my last AX and it "seemed" that the small vibration I have been trying to eliminate was a bit less severe.

My car has nearly a 1/4" of toe out in the front that may be part of my particular vibration problem.

Joseph
88 Carrera
Old 11-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

This is definitely not a new issue. Properly indexing the wheels should eliminate nearly all vibration IF they are properly balanced.
A search here in the 911 forum should yield at least another thread or so on the subject.
my 84 has paint, my 74 had paint AND a dimple (like from a center punch) on the end of a stud.
+++
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Interesting - I should check on my '73.5, tho I expect that once it had the rotors changed that no longer applies.

Quick Reply: Red dot on wheel stud mistery solved.