Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Low Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 AM
seanoj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Speed Vibration

I am experiencing an intermitant vibration from the front of my car when coasting at a low speed. I notice it most when in neutral and approaching a stop sign or red light when doing <10 mph. The vibration is high fequency and lasts for only what seems like half of each wheel rotation. It almost feels like a warped rotor, but they are new and I don't have any symptoms when braking.

I searched the forum but was unable to find anything that seemed to fit the problem.

Also noticed is a groaning noise from the right front of the car when turning hard at slow speeds (i.e. parking). Not sure if this is related, but I thought I would bring it up.

One of my rear anti-sway bar mounts is broken, so the suspension is in a state of distress already. However, I believe, the vibration began before the mount broke.

Also, any quick suggestions for suspension improvements while I get the sway bar mount fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Sean
Old 10-30-2006, 01:49 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the noise it could be a wheel bearing. i experienced this once in one of my cars (not a porsche though). jack up the front of the car and try and move the wheels side to side (have someone hold the steering wheel). if its sloppy then its probably a bearing.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

It may be esier to try rocking top to bottom , you should have practically zero play. I agree this sounds like a wheel baring and these tests may not prove that buit it could still be the bearing. It is relatively easy to take at least the outer one out and repack it.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the bearing is bad or the spindle nut is real loose. I suggest jacking the car off the ground and checking for top to-bottom travel of the wheel. The correct end play is to tighten the spindle nut until you can barely move the large washed behind it.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I have this exact same noise. On my car, it is the front brake pads. The PPI mechanic said that I should pop off the wheels, pull the pads, clean the backings and put some anti-vibration compound on the pad backings before sticking them back in.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I am going to take the car to the shop that replaced the breaks (and bearings) a few months ago. Maybe they missed something...

Quick Reply: Low Speed Vibration