Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Project .... Gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006 | 04:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default New Project .... Gas smell

Wouldn't ya know it I was about to gas up the car for the last time and put in my stablizer and I ma have found a project. I go out to the garage where my Audi and Porsche reside and a wall of fumes hits me. A really strong stench of gasoline. It was impossible to tell where it was coming from , neither car had pools on the floor, it wasn't coming from any particular area. I have a feeling it will be the Porsche however as it is allmost 30. I did a visual inspection and did seesome dark stains under the drivers wheel well but nothing conclusive. I know that is where the filler cap is but this was right at the front where the battery would mount ,and I did wash out that whole area when I did my battery tray project.

I will be looking into it further and hopefully find something soon, i remember seeing an article in excellence on it so I will have to read up. . I may just replace the gas lines and pump all the way from the front to back if I can do it withou removing the engine. But now I have a full tank to pump out ...

oh well , life goes on ..
Old 10-29-2006 | 06:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I did some further investigation , the smell is really strong under that front drivers wheel well, and i noticed the undercoating is all disolved in that area with shiney paint underneath, is that an evaporation canister in the front above the windsheild washer tank ? maybe I just need to replace all those lines. ? I just took my car out for a good high speed run and no signs of gas anywhere.. yet ....

This stain looks pretty strange though , I can't see windsheild washer fluid doing this ..
Old 10-29-2006 | 07:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

what year?

on my '73 that metal elbow connects from the fuel tank to the non-existent tank that you still have - you may have a crack in the tank itself - the plastic cracks up after 20-30 years -- or the hose may be bad.

BTW - all the vapor hoses in the trunk need to be replaced with special (non-PVC) fuel vapor hoses every 20 years or so

search using term emission on Pelican BBS for more info
Old 10-29-2006 | 07:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Randy I think I am on to it now. My car is a 78SC . The metal elbow goes to a piece of pipe. I found out on my new PET what you just confirmed for me that it is in fact an evap canister. If I can figure out how to get it out I will , other than that I will just put a new piece of Hose in. It could be leaking from the bottom of the plastic elbow in the tank. If so I will see if I can repair it.
I will keep everyone informed.

PS look at the stain on the tank below the elbow ,, that is a LOT of varnish, must have been leaking for a while.
Old 10-29-2006 | 08:12 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

my '73 has a metal bracket forward of the canister - yours is prob. similar
Old 10-29-2006 | 08:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Randy I will check it out tomorow, too dark now, I saw your comments on pelican but could not find the threads on what hose to use. Bottom line is use fuel line i guess. I am going to see if I can get that canister out completely and clean up the area, I have to respray the undercoating anyway. Guess I will have to live with the stink for a while.
Old 10-29-2006 | 09:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

The tubing I think I need says it is 9 *2,5

does this mean I need a 9mm internal diameter with a wall thiickness of 2.5 mm ? it is hard to get a reading on the tube it is so old and ratty.
Old 10-29-2006 | 09:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well I took out the canister to check for leaks and cleaned it up and i all looks good. I was lucky not to break any of the nipples.

I had to figure out how it held in place and after taking out the bolt it was jammed. i stuck my hand over the top and scrapped away some crud and pushed it up and out it came.

I took a look inside and behind the headlight bucket ..WOW what a mess.. there was dirt and gravel that went up there when Jimmy Carter was in office.. I magine driving along in your porsche as gravel gets chucked up there as you are listening to Dallas win Super bowl 12 ... this is land before time .. check out the pic after I scrapped some awa y..... still a mess..
Old 10-30-2006 | 01:04 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

building such nooks and crannies into the 911 was apparently a design goal...

a big hose dist. can tell you about eh fuel vapor hose -- sure, real liquid fuel hose will work
Old 11-04-2006 | 08:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Cleaned up the mess and put a coat or armour coat rubberized gravel guard on. Not pretty but who cares , it's hidden anyway. This stuff is excellent and dries really hard. no water affecting this ,.. good for another 30 years. I should have taken a pic of the job completed . Make sure NOT to buy asphalt based stuff , it is crap, spend a bit more and get the premium. will wowrk great for battery bow also .

Had trouble locating hose but I have it now ..
Old 11-04-2006 | 10:25 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Nice job! Did you happen to take a picture of the evaportion canister while it was out? How exactly did you manage to get the evap can out? So it sounds like you are confident that the only problem was the hose, right. That was a great idea to go back and spray some protectant on the paint. Like Seinfeld, "No Rust for You!"
Old 11-04-2006 | 10:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Actually James I did not take a pic of the canister while out. But taking it out was pretty easy , there was one ten mil bolt behind that curved pipe on the ww tank. After that you just wiggle while pushing up . there is a notch that sits in those two "ears" ont he back of the bucket. You have to take two hoses off . In my case they just fell right off. I think one of my problems was I have been monitoring gas milage and in order to get an accurate measurement I was filling righ to the max of the neck of the tanl which obviously was not helping. I put some nice blue braided fuel hose on and it looks okay and is tight now with a couple of fuel injection clamps . ( not the crappy looking hose clamps from the hardware store. )

PS you should see the pile of crap I took off just the headlight bucket.
Old 11-04-2006 | 10:56 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

armour coat rubberized gravel guard... Is Armour the brand name? Where did you get it?

also, where does that small hose in the pic lead to? the one that comes out of the scew cap...

and - check behind your tail lights if you really want to find gravel & crud...
Old 11-04-2006 | 11:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hi Randy I will check out the actual stuffs name , but rust check sold a very good one to but they were out of stock. The small yellowish hose that comes out of the WW tank lid is the vent hose for the tank. It is tie wrapped to the main fill 2" diameter hose and plugs in right next to the big hose up by the fuel and WW fill area under the fender.
Old 11-04-2006 | 11:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey james .. "no rust for you .. one decade" ...... I hope ...

Quick Reply: New Project .... Gas smell