Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Peter Zimmerman or anyone else, please come in. question on slave cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 04:13 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice,
I guess for testing something purposes. let say, he is testing his oil line and cooler?
Old 10-27-2006, 04:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

I guess it would have to be , I don't throw a piece of carpet on my grill every day ..
Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

der mond is in Alaska. I think that's how he warms up the engine in the cold climate there. I don't have that problem here in Texas.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah your right, that's ho I got my heater blower when mine died, some guy sent me one from texas, it was brand spankin new.. he said he took it off a couple of weks after he got the car ..

bonus ..
Old 10-28-2006, 12:09 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Hi guys,
Ok, last night I ripped parts in the headlight buckets and also my fingers to manually lift the light up. I quit after found the boiling oil and leaking at the front of the engine. Today, I started after work again. First thing I revisit was the headlights and found that they are ok now. They fixed themselves. I then jacked up the rear and start the engine. Finish a cigarette and wait for it to leak again, but it decided not to leak. And sound great without the boiling noise. I wait again for the oil temp get up to the middle, the same level as it was yesterday, still no problem. I then clean up and went inside, Thanks god.

... but what was the problems?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

who knows ...

but the next time I was out for a run I would definitely check that front cooler to see if it gets warm.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:23 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

rnln, don't you have an 87 Carrera slant nose? If so, I believe you have a carrera cooler (don't you?), not a trombone. But, I guess it could be either one. A word of advice, never try to use the alternator to try and recharge the battery. One, It will not happen and two, it will stress the alternator too much. Always put a quick charge for short time (30 minutes) and trickle charge for long times (4 hours) to get the battery back to normal. If it won't charge back up, then you may need a new battery.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

You mean don't charge the batery by running the engine? I never heard anyone saying that is bad. Well, maybe just learned new thing.
Yes, mine is a slantnose but it's not factory slantnose. It doesn't have the real ext cooler. The one it has up there is not even a thombone because the normal thombone won't fit there. Someone modified the thomebone there. I got another thomebone from someone in Pelican planing to modified it there but I messed it up because I can't bend it. I was searching for a cooler to fit there with a reasonable price but still couldn't find one yet. Remember, the space at the front fender is smaller on the slantnose compare to the normal 911.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ice: In your climate engine removal is pretty easy - just put a large block of ice under it, loosen everything that needs to be and use a hair dryer on the "ice." To install reverse the procedure...

The blanket, or whatever, on the engine lid is what we did on a regular basis at the shop. The oil can't be topped up on a 911 until its entire sysyem is "open," front cooler hot, etc. Even though winter temps in Santa Monica are in the 50s and 60s, to speed up the process we returned to the shop from a test drive, pulled into the main service door, put a blanket on the rear lid until the cooler opened and topped up the car. This served a dual purpose - we were able to diagnose cooler/thermostat problems on every car.
Pete
Old 10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Not to mention warmed your blankets and dried your towels.... Hey I like your engine removal process.. don't know about reinstalation though :-)
Old 10-29-2006, 02:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

rnln, yes...do not use alternator for battery charging. The alternator will recharge the battery, but only for the energy lost while driving it, i.e., keeping it at a certain charge. Always recharge the battery with a battery charger or you'll probably blow the diodes and have an alternator to replace. Pete or Steve....comments?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

It's really all about duty cycle . Alternators were not designed for 100% duty cycle. You are pushing it to 100% if your battery is dead..
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Peter Zimmerman or anyone else, please come in. question on slave cylinder.