K&N air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:35 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 293 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Red Green would be proud ...
I think it's just us "hockey playing boys" that get the joke Ice.

Mine box is cut right off and it whistles sometime from air flow.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Tetra84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I think it's just us "hockey playing boys" that get the joke Ice.
nah, i used to watch the Red Green show, funny stuff.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,063 Likes on 757 Posts

Red Green for Prime Minister....
Old 10-25-2006, 07:23 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tetra84
I just did a drive around town with just the airfilter duck taped to the filter house w/o the filter cover on to kind of get an idea of how it would sound, and it was great! I dont know if it was just me, but I also seemed to notice a better throttle response, the car seemed to accelerate faster too, but that might just have been my imagination.
It was just your imagination . Seriously, I like the sound of my drilled airbox, but it doesn't do squat for performance. Kinda like when I was a kid and used to put baseball cards in my bicycle spokes...it sounded 'cool', but I couldn't go any faster.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider911
I think there may be a cone replacement for the stock airbox, but don't know if it's a K&N. The replacement K&N for the stock airbox does not provide any additional room in the engine compartmaent because it is the same size as the factory filter. I used a K&N for about a year, but found it was letting too much dirty air into the airbox. The micron size of the K&N is larger and allows a lot more crud into the engine. that crud goes down the intake and doesn't help the engine any. Even though I cleaned it repeatedly, it was always dirty. I even bought an extra airbox cover and drilled the holes to allow more air to the engine. All is realized was more sound.....kind of like my 57 Vette used to sound with the carb cover off. I say stay with the stock stuff, but it's yours so do as you wish.
I completely agree, but need to know where to find a replacement so as to not destroy my current one? 88 carrera.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:23 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I finally found a spare airbox cover on Pelican for my 3.2. I sawed it off rather than drilling holes in it. It definitely sounds much better (louder) than stock, but only at WOT. I have previously done the research on weather or not this actually adds any power and figured that it probably made no real difference, but interestingly, I found an old Panorama article (August 2000) where a tech article explains the mod. Below is a transcript:

Q: This is a question about the power flow and MSBS type or air cone in filters. Is there a real gain in having any one of those on a fairly stock 3.2?

Jerry Woods: A: I have done some work on this. I had a stock 3.2 motor on the dyno and was running it without an air cleaner. I thought this would be interesting. I put the air cleaner back on and we lost a little power. At that time Automotion was in business in their former facility which was about ten miles away from us. I knew the general manager and he lived nearby and he brought a K&N filter over for me to try. He stood there was watched while I tried it because that was one of their big product lines. We found the same power as with the paper element. We did find that by taking a two-inch hole saw and putting three two-inch holes in the outside plastic cover, it was like there was no air cleaner. All of a sudden the power came up. There was virtually no difference between the K&N and the paper. I strongly recommend the paper elements for road going cars. They do the best job of filtering out the fine small dust-type particulates. Protect your engine. K&Ns are nice; yes, you can wash them out but they take a lot of maintenance to do a good job. They are suited for a race car but not for a road going car in my estimation. That's how I see it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Murphyslaw1978!
Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's enough convincing for me, 3 2inch holes on the way!

Quick Reply: K&N air filter?