Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
smuseby
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

I'm a pretty young porsche lover, and I don't have too much money. Problem is is that I am afflicted with the 911 bug. I really would like to buy one but I'm worried that I am going to get into a mess. If anybody in the East Bay (CA) needs help on their car and wouldn't mind showing me the ropes I would be most apreciative.
Also, any advice in buying/maintaining would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Aw man I know the feeling. I was bitten by the Porsche bug at a young age as well, the 911 is my all time favorite car. But, of course there is no such thing as a "cheap" Porsche. If you buy one that needs a lot of work for cheap, you will end up spending way more money on it than if you bought one that was nice to begin with. But if you want to learn, I guess thats the best way! Even if you buy a nice one, though, they are a bit expensive to maintain.

Since you say you want to learn the ropes and love Porsches, how about trying get an apprentice job at a local Porsche shop? That's what I did. I am still relatively young (23) and still learning the ropes, but it's been a year and a half now and I love my job. I have learned a ton and I get to work on and drive my favorite cars all day long (oh yeah and some BMWs too). Plus once I get my own Porsche (which will be soon hopefully!) I know how to work on it already, I can get parts at cost and I have a place to work on it!

The only shop I can think of in your area is Bauer Repair in Oakland. I stopped by there once when I was up there and hung out and chatted w/ the guys a bit, they were very cool and have a nice shop and they work on and have their own race cars too. I have no idea if they are hiring but if I were you I'd go there and ask, and even if they don't have something now they may later on down the line. Or of course go to whatever good Porsche shop that you know of. But the key is taking the initiative and being persistent and showing that you are motivated. Anyway hope this helps and good luck on your journey towards a Porsche . . . .

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM
carnutzzz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How old are you?

What is it you like about Porsches?

If I was to give any advice- it would be to focus on success in life first. With success in life comes the ability to spend money on depreciating assets- allowing you to own the car without the car owning you.

Don't be consumed by what others have. Stay focused on your life. Do well in school, develop good relationship and social skills, get a good job, start investing- and above all else be realistic with what you can afford.

The above poster gave great advice- get paid to learn about the cars! This may make your passion more of a "job" but it will give you priceless insight into the hobby, allowing you to make smart and realistic decisions in the future.

Make good decisions early on and you will be surprised at how soon you will be driving the car of your dreams...

Quick Reply: Newbie