Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help cold start problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Kevin G
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help cold start problem

My 79sc starts extremly hard when the engine is cold. After it does start the engine sputters for the first 5-10 seconds and then sets into proper idle. Once the engine is started, it will continue to start with no problem as long as it doesn't sit to the point the engine is cold. Any ideas on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin 79sc
Old 03-30-2002, 09:48 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a Head Temperature Sensor. Check that first.

88 Carrera
Spider911
Old 03-31-2002, 02:05 AM
rickc
Instructor

Check the output on your coil and your cold start circuit.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:59 AM
ChrisB
Intermediate

Sounds like it's running lean. I'd check your cold start injector. If you give it a little throttle while it's sputtering and it dies, that could be the problem.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:02 PM
ChrisB
Intermediate

Just thought of something else. An intake vacuum leak can cause those symptoms too. I'd check specifically around your popoff valve - they commonly are susceptible to that. Let me know how you make out.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There could be a number of things, but here is a very simple but very, very important one. Is your thermotime switch correctly connected?

The thermotime switch is mounted on the left cam chain cover near the engine electrical master plug. It opens your cold start injector when the engine is cranking. It's a switch so you just connect the two wires; wrong! It is internally grounded so one connector is the switch and the other is the heater to turn it off. The red/black wire must go to the switch (0 ohms to ground when cold) and the yellow to the heater (mine is about 60 ohms cold). If you connect it wrong the cold start valve will not open because its in series with the high resistance heater and you will have starting problems.

Quick Reply: help cold start problem