Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

i want to keep my ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 01:07 AM
R. Santore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down i want to keep my ducktail

there has to be a way to keep my ducktail! as some of you know i'm putting a 3.0 liter turbo motor in a 74 carrera race car, and i desperately want to keep the ducktail.. the only options i see are dumping the intercooler(engine is intercooled), but with the added mods to the engine that may not be a good idea. What, if anything can i do to keep that ducktail alive? can i mount it in the back seat w/naca ducting? how costly could that get?? any ideas would be great!
Thanks!
Rob
Old 03-30-2002, 05:31 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Rob:

If you were here in our shop, I would build and install a water-to-air intercooler setup similar to the 934 ones.

This would involve a new, custom intake manifold as well so that this whole package will fit under the ducktail.

Its all doable of course but anything custom would not be inexpensive to do properly. Whether or not its cost-effective to do this is another issue,........
Old 03-30-2002, 11:16 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Kind of confused. I thought the 3.0 liter turbo engine had no problem regarding the spoiler. It was from the 3.3 liter turbo engine onwards, that the rear spoiler had to provide more room. This is because the 3.0 did not have the air-to-air intercooler.
Old 03-30-2002, 04:47 PM
R. Santore
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>Rob:

If you were here in our shop, I would build and install a water-to-air intercooler setup similar to the 934 ones.

This would involve a new, custom intake manifold as well so that this whole package will fit under the ducktail.

Its all doable of course but anything custom would not be inexpensive to do properly. Whether or not its cost-effective to do this is another issue,........ </strong><hr></blockquote>

any idea on what that would run roughly to do that?? im sure its up in the thousands, but man i'd almost do it to keep the ducktail on that sucker.. will there be any loss of performance/drivability?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:48 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob,

The 934 was a race car with 485hp @ 7000rpm. Steve knows his stuff, I think he could get you setup right. Also, I would think the water cooled intercoolers would be less dependent upon air flow and vehicle speed so they may have their advantages, but Steve W could help you out with that more than me.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:28 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Rob:

I've not done one in many years but my best educated guess to fabricate some custom intake manifolds, build and install a W-to-W IC, plumb the thing with a pump and all would be around
$6-7K for components and labor.

Its a BIG project.

Done correctly, there would not be any drivability or power issues,.....
Old 04-01-2002, 06:52 PM
R. Santore
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems:
<strong>Hi Rob:

I've not done one in many years but my best educated guess to fabricate some custom intake manifolds, build and install a W-to-W IC, plumb the thing with a pump and all would be around
$6-7K for components and labor.

Its a BIG project.

Done correctly, there would not be any drivability or power issues,..... </strong><hr></blockquote>
yeah i kinda figured it would be that much. Stephen Kaspar at Imagine Auto quoted me near the same thing for a similar setup.. 930 tail here i come .. at least for now!

Quick Reply: i want to keep my ducktail