Rear bumper headache/question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 01:03 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Rear bumper headache/question...

My rear bumper sags on the passenger side, due to having been hit and improperly repaired by the P.O. This weekend a friend and I got the bumper off and tracked down the problem, which seems very reparable. Here's the catch and I will try to track down a photo somewhere to post:

The upper bolt on the bracket holding the bumper shock (part number 911 505 223 00) is inaccessible from the left side. All that's wrong is a loose upper bracket bolt. So I need to jack up the bumper shock and tighten the bracket. The upper bolt (13mm) is easy to reach from the right side. But some metal piece, which I could not identify from my manuals, is too restrictive to allow a box wrench in from the left side, where I need to hold the nut while I tighten the bolt with a ratchet. If I can't find a good solution for this, I may end up drilling out a larger hole, which will accomodate the box wrench. Though this will be a huge pain in itself. As far as I can tell, it's inaccessible from above the engine area. Does this explanation make sense to anyone, and if so, how can I tighten that bracket? Seems to me, anyone who has replaced a right-side, rear bumper shock should know about this. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:52 PM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick,
I just completed replacement of my front bumper and I know of the bolt that you are talking about. The nut on the backside of that bolt is actually supposed to be welded to the bracket if I'm understanding you correctly. One of mine had broken loose too so I just put it in with the bumper off and tacked it back on with a MIG welder. If you don't have a welder available you might try cleaning it up and using some epoxy to hold it in place. I hope this helps.

Cheers, James

Quick Reply: Rear bumper headache/question...