Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Weather perspective .....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 06:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default Weather perspective .....

This is for you guys living in Texas and Southern California.. where it is HOT :-)

I went out this Sunday morning for a drive in the car , it was 6:30 am and a very bright day so off I went. stepped outside and it was 3C, and a little windy. I have bridgstone Re050s which I find to be a pretty good street tyre. I tell you it was COLD.
Ayway it was very difficult to get heat into the tires and as a result I got no stickiness. This turned out to be quite the blast as my normally spirited driving would cause the back end to come out under acceleration and cornering. I found it a very good way to find out how your car will react at realtively slow speeds and I did in fact find it very educational. I am confident in knowing that if the car acts unpredictably I will have known the feeling and will know what to do. I entered a corner a little fast and the back started to come around ( normally in good weather it would have stuck like glue ) , because the speed was realtively slow ( don't remember exactly ) I was able to feel what the car was doing. I gave it a some gas and due to the built in understeer in these cars instead of the back end coming around I went into a sort of power slide , steered out of it and away I went. ( don't get me wrong this was all of about 10 ft , not like in the NFS opening credits :-) ) But anywya just thought it was valuable experience and thought i would apss along the story..

Ice ...
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:43 PM
randomhick35
Instructor

i feel you ice, the most fun i've had on four wheels was in a 1950 ****** jeep in rear wheel drive, high ratio, on a freshly plowed pond on 50 year old origonal bias ply tires. boy is that a quick education. 'cept if i had snowbanks to run into, not telephone poles....
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:38 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

I used to love doing doughnuts with my old 1980 Datsun 210 Wagon in the snow 18 years ago.

RWD with no weight in the back so I practiced power slides in the morning when the roads were covered with dew
Ended up wrecking the car 8 months later when some 16 YO girl ran a light right in front of me.
I was OK and and the BOC song "Don't fear the Reaper " was on radio on radio at the time.

It was 36 degrees Sunday morning so I took it easy with the Porsche since the Toyo's were not sticking very well.
I don't want to pull out my new CV's bolts.
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I think your 36F is pretty well the same as my 3C so we shared the same " non sticky experience" good fun actually...
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:45 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Ice,

Wow, that sounds like fun. *9/5 + 32. It can get that cold here sometimes. When it does I will try this out. I have yet to feel the rear of my car slide out, at least on city streets. I have heard that if you haven't, then you really haven't pushed the car yet. I guess that is fine with me until I take the car to a track and take a DE. But when that cold weather hits I am gonna try it at slow speeds.

By the way, when is something on your car gonna break. I am patiently waiting for the next iceman adventure.
Old 10-17-2006 | 04:44 PM
dsmith
Racer

yea, it's a nippy 90F in houston today. flooding like a mother, so i'm driving the $400 SAAB this week.

Last November i drove an SCCA club race. we had one of those cold snap weekends. I slept in my van overnight in 30 deg weather, then first on the track at 8am. it was WAY cold and my 2 yr old, no tread toyos put me in the dirt on the first lap in 4th gear. luckily, i found some talent laying around and kept it off the tire wall.

Shouldn't you be running snows by now?

David
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Snows .. well if the germans new how to design heat maybe .. I think I am going to put her to bed soon and use the Audi ..

James .. nothing has broken in a while so I am in fact getting quite bored with this car .. this thing is far to reliable for me ..

Looks like I am going to have to pass the torch to you for a while. I am looking forward to some good write ups and pics from your upcoming adventure. The only project I have coming up is to remove the tail and see if I can fasten the mesh back in place. I have about given up on the valve covers as I just can not get it to stop leaking.. maybe a machine shop next with the covers.

Funny you should mention this thou as some one forwarded some of my adventures from here to someone in the Porsche Club and they want me to write some articles for the club . Move over Pete Zimmermann..

well you just know now I am going to go outside and it won't start ..

Quick Reply: Weather perspective .....