Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Blaupunkt--what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM
agd0
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaupunkt--what's it worth?

I just replaced the audio equipment in my 1983 cab. Rather than just throw it away, I'm thinking it may be worth something to someone. But any ideas on what this stuff is worth? What came out:

Blaupunkt "Sydney" cassette/radio. May be about 8 to 10 years old. Has a security card that doesn't work.

Blaupunkt "Monterrey" cassette/radio. This was in the dash before the Sydney was. Don't know whether it works either.

Blaupunkt 10 disk CD changer. Installed at the same time the Sydney was, I believe. Has a remote that attaches to the steering wheel.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Andy
Attached Images    
Old 10-10-2006, 02:29 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know what they are worth but that Monterrey is the exact one that is in my 83 Coupe. I believe it to be original.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
tj willy
Track Day

I think any value from these would be to someone looking to restore and not interested in sound. Unfortunately, they are not worth your time to mess with most likely. Probably better served to donate to some worthy cause or store them away for prosperity.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts

I have my original radio from my 78 in the garage. Takes me about 5 minutes to swap in when I am doing club concourse, don't turn the thing on of course :-)

Last edited by theiceman; 10-10-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perfect items for eBay. People may be restoring a car and be looking for those.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT throw the Monterey out. Concours people love this stuff and is great for bringing back originality. I had an '86 coupe years ago and tried to find an original radio for it for concours reason. Never found one and just gave up calling places.

eBay it.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Stevelovescars
Track Day

If you are interested in selling the CD changer, let me know. I think I have the same one in my '84 but the CD cassette won't come out any more... so it doesn't work. Can you see the model number on the back of the unit? If it's the same as mine, it has a 10-prong round plug and is controlled by the buttons on the Blaupunkt cassette player.

Steve
Old 10-11-2006, 02:18 PM
87924GT
Racer

I got $75 for my Monty last year.
Steve Ed
Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Saw one on ebay last week. Not sure if it sold but definitely don't throw it out. I would love to find a Blaupunkt "Charleston" radio which according to the COA was what my car came with.
Jim
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default Poor radio sound

My 1982 SC has a Sony with CD player that I'm not impressed with. I'd actually like an original radio although the COA on mine didn't mention what was in it out of the factory. It may be too old for that level of recordkeeping.

Are the Blaupunkts really that bad? Also, does anyone know if the security card can be replaced?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbuswell
Are the Blaupunkts really that bad?
Yeah, the old ones pretty much are average units based on what I've heard over the 20+ years I've been involved in car audio.

Most head units from the early '80's were pretty poor in sound quality. Once the mid to late '80's came around, Alpine and Nakamichi really had their act together on cassette units and they sounded great. Full logic controls, ruler flat frequency response graphs that extended pretty low, decent enough top end and always improving wow and flutter ratings. I always thought they (Alpine and Nak) were really the only two players in consumer head units that were worth anything sound quality wise with decent reliability. Nak was the king of cassette.

As a side note, back in the very early '90's, I did a ton of back to back listening tests between very high end Alpine cassette decks with Alpine CD units and the cassette decks tended to sound better with a properly recorded, high quality cassette playing the first few playback times verses a mid level CD player. Yeah, cassette was that good if you had a high end system and fresh tapes. I've heard insane systems powered by preamp cassette decks. However, those days are long gone and never returning.

I've never been impressed with anything with the label "Blaupunkt" on it.

A new $129 Alpine unit will blow away anything from the '80's...(and a lot of '90's units). If you're after serious sound quality, skip right past any of the factory head units. Those old head units are only good for concours competitions... Nakamichi currently makes some great CD players that have great sound quality and look good in most any 911's dash.

Just my $.02...

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 AM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

agd0,

I replied to your ad on pelican or here, wherever it was. Are you going to give me first shot at the cd changer and sydney combo or not? The one question I have is about the security cards. It looks like you listed this on ebay or craigslist - can't remember which. In whichever ad it was, the person stated the security card was missing. Do you have both security cards? Do both units sydney/cd changer work properly - all butons work and lights up correctly. Please let me know whta the deal is, as I stated earlier to your classified, I am interested.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 AM
agd0
6th Gear

Shane,

I think I responded to your PM on Pelican. Tried emailing you a response but your mail server bounced me.

Andy
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay H
I always thought they (Alpine and Nak) were really the only two players in consumer head units that were worth anything sound quality wise with decent reliability. Nak was the king of cassette.

I had a Nak installed in my 1978 911 around 1990 or so. It was a cassette unit with CD direct input (I was able to connect my portable sony CD player via direct RCA hookup). I bought it becuase I was told it was the best- it was something like $600 if I remember right- a lot of dough for me then, and still a lot now for a head unit.

Anyway, I literally used the CD 95% of the time. The thing had a 1 or 2 year warranty- the cassette stopped working about a week after the warranty (with a total of maybe 20 hours total use), and when I called the company they wouldn't help with the fixing- not even pay half. The unit was mint condition, only used the best tapes when I used it, and the stereo store even tried calling.

As I said to the customer service rep almost 15 years ago, "I will never purchase another Nakimichi product ever again". 15 years later and I never have and never will. With this forum and the internet, I can finally vent my frustrations and warn people on what is a crappy product backed by a crappy company. Yes they were the best cassette players....for the first 20 hours of use

Ahh, I feel so much better now getting that off my chest
Old 10-14-2006, 03:02 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Default You may be pleased to know that ...

Andrew911:

I've been told by a high end stereo dealer that the original Nak company went out of business. I own a Nak cassette deck at home and parts are hard to come by from what I'm told. Perhaps someone bought the name (in response to the posts above about there still being new equipment available).

Actually I'm not all that hot on having a cassette player rather than a CD player although something that plays both would be ideal. I suspect that I'd also be looking for some obscure legacy equipment to get something like that. I just thought original would be nice if I didn't take to big a hit in $ and sound. Otherwise, I guess I'd just stick with the Sony although it has a silver front instead of black (PO's choice, not mine).

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt--what's it worth?