Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 top end job cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 02:07 PM
gr8fl4porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 3.2 top end job cost

If I drop the motor. Dissasemble and bead blast the heads. Assume all valves can be reused with a 3 angle grind.
What is the average cost for someone to replace the seals and guides, and grind the valves?

I would like to ship the heads to a true P-car
professional not my local machine shop.

Anyone done it this way recently?
Old 03-28-2002, 03:07 PM
john#6
Advanced

Call Memphis Motorwerks
Leo Goff is the best guy I know to do the job -
Dropped my heads off on the way to Sebring a couple of years ago, picked them up on the way back, Superb work and service
Old 03-28-2002, 04:56 PM
nate
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though I have never had Memphis Motor Werks do any work on my car, I called the owner, Charlie, this morning to ask some question about a Memphis based car I was buying. All I can say, is he was a great deal of help even to someone who didn't have business to bring his way.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:45 PM
Hugh
Advanced

I would say don't assume you won't need to replace valves or that you won't discover worn cam lobes. I'd say multiply whatever estimate you come up with by 2 for contingency's sake and you should be fine. If you plan to evaluate any of the parts yourself, make sure you don't let optimism cloud your measurements.

A top end rebuild of my '84 at 94K miles discovered many worn valve stems and cams that needed to be reground. I had it the whole shebang done by a trusted mechanic, and it cost me about $5K. The car runs beautifully, and because basically the entire valve train was replaced, I have lots of confidence in the car's reliability.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-28-2002, 07:03 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heads alone with all new valves, guides, ream, 3 angle seats, lap to check, spring height, seals and cleaning are in the 900-1000 range.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:28 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would add that the best cylinder head rebuilders are using the Serdi machines these days, and I believe that the results are much better than can be acheived with the traditional methods. I won't list all of the reasons they are better. Just try to find a shop with the Serdi bench and have them explain it to you. Then, the advantages will be obvious to you.

Tom Frisardi
Yes, the heads on my '79 were done on a Serdi bench.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:20 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the serdi machine is pretty cool. it cuts all the angles at once. no particular skill required to do a nice job. a skilled tech with the proper tools can do just as nice a job, but it will certainly take longer. i bet the cost won't be less with the machine though, considering it's cost.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:05 PM
philfran
Intermediate

Memphis motorwerks has a great shop. Never had any work done there yet, thank goodness no problems with my SC.

We had a PCA region meet there and they had a nice clean shop with everything from a Porsche to a several Ferraris. They guys there were very knowledgeable and most friendly.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:56 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use (Anchor) Atlantic Enterprises in NJ. (Look in Excellence magazine.) Not counting any broken studs that need to be removed, it is under $400 for everything. New valves are additional if you need them. Takes a couple of days. All Bob does are heads and he is extremely nice to work with. I've used him 3 or 4 times. I've had him do normal valve jobs and twin plugging. He doesn't seem to be in the competition end of things. He has my heads now.
Engine Builder's Supply advertises machine work and I think their price for valve jobs was similar.
-Chris

Quick Reply: 3.2 top end job cost