Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bad oil level sender- update - O.T.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a matter of fact when I was trying to look in there before I bought that krypton light on the 19" extension, I tried using a small maglight...and tied a piece of string to the end just in case I dropped it. FWIW, the gauge is bouncing a bit when I come to a stop....like the oil is sloshing and raising the level a bit....makes me think that it's the float level that's the problem.......I think the dogone float is just set too high. I've done just about everything you can do....and I think I quit.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

stupid question but does your dipstick have a part number on it ? are you sure it is the right one? what if there is just not enough oil in the thing !!!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

You know...I'm starting to wonder about that. I noticed today that the oil sending unit was working, but only slightly out of the red...it was oscillating a bit like it was floating on the surface of the oil, but it acted like the the oil was low....I'll check the dipstick tomorrow. I don't think the dipsticks have a part number, but there will be pictures of them for comparison. Wouldn't that be a bitch after all this...wrong dipstick and the oil is just too low???
Old 11-20-2006, 11:15 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will look at my dipstick later for ya, but I know it is a really short one.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Hold it...stop the presses....freeze...cease...desist.....I got it working....works great. There WAS another dipstick in the dogone thing. I tore it apart for the THIRD TIME, and used a strong magnet, and managed to fish out a dipstick that some dipstick PO dropped in there.

So I imagine I have my old sending unit that will still work......it can go to my reserve parts drawer. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and info. Ice....you've been a big help...thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:26 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck,
Glad you got your baby home and I'm proud to hear that you're doing your own work!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by the guy I bought my car from that the oil level sensor is to never be trusted. The only thing worth trusting is the dip stick in the engine compartment.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Wow great news .. I guess we will be seeing it on EBAy soon ;-).. Glad you found it in their .. I mean realy it HAD to be .. I'm just glad you resisted bending the float. Good job and some great persistence..

JV if you need anything sending over you can't find locally I can always give it to your relatives

rentadate: . That is actually true. I never use the guage to measure my oil . But since I did replace my sender mine is now very accurate. If it is getting low ( into the red at idle ) I am about a quart low. But since it takes me about 10,000km to get a quart low I don't really worry about it. It is kinda nice to se it moving up and down I must admit.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ice: I'm going to hang onto it as a reminder that perseverance pays off. Actually...for the folks who take the position that the oil level sender gauge is not accurate, I would tend to agree, but since I fixed it, it's been right on. Plus the fact that P-car owners just don't like to have something sitting there staring them in the face that DOESN"T WORK. We're driven to fix it...and take great delight in sitting back and seeing that it's working as it should.

Now I have to tackle the expansion tank in the 996. I kind of like rolling up the sleeves and digging into DIY projects. I found the DIY for this project in the archives.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well this is where I exit .. I know NOTHING about 996s... hell I can't even aford a picture of one ..

great Job Chuck.

Quick Reply: Bad oil level sender- update - O.T.