Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how does your wife feel about your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:47 PM
berettafan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes first comment on seeing the '70T i just bought was 'it's pretty'.

Second comment was during her first ride in it, 2nd gear pedal on the floor...'i like how loud it is when you accelerate'.

2yr old son saw it and said 'fas daddy!'
Old 12-14-2006, 02:14 AM
sbmackie
Advanced

Default WAF is high

Wife Approval Factor is high in my house. She new I was jonesing for one, was always poking around, showing them to her, etc. "GET THE D#@^ CAR ALREADY". So I did.

Now get this: I rolled the first one at the track. I call her from the track...
"Honey, I'm OK, but the car's toast". She was way bummed. About the car, I mean. "That's OK, go get another one". So I did. She's a keeper. The wife and the car, I mean. She says it looks like "Bond, James Bond" and she really digs the sound (straight pipe to un-baffled stock muffler).

She navigates at rally's, and is usually spot on. We never win, (due to my lead foot) but she enjoys the drive and the 6 year old little guy LOVES riding in "the Fun Car".

Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife doesn't understand why I won't let her drive it. I can't tell her, but she has no aptitude for driving. I think she thinks it's a fashion accessory.

Like shoes. Think expensive shoes. I also think she likes the bragging rights. She is very proud that we have one, and most people seem to think an 80 SC with a tail is some kind of exotic supercar.

I can live with that.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Right before we got married I told her my obsession with Porsche stemming from when I was a very little one, and that there would be one in our future. She told me "NO WAY!" at the time.

A few months later we are married and on our honeymoon...and I convince her to let me get a 944.

2 and half years later...we are having a baby and I mention that it may be time to upgrade to a 911. Again there is some resistance...and after the baby is born...a few weeks later.....911SC in the driveway.

She claims to not like my "hobby" and wishes I was into shopping or something else. But at the end of the day, she was the one telling everyone (or prompting me to to tell everyone) about the new 911.

So I think she secretly thinks it's cool...but would never tell me that!

Oh...and she doesn't drive stick either! Doesn't matter...I know she would hate driving it.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:20 PM
RogerB
Track Day

My Wife is an automotive "antithusiast," but every time she sees a 911, she says, "cute car," (high praise in her lexicon. No other car I've ever been interested in has sparked such spontaneous, unsolicited praise.)

I suppose it makes sense. When we met, I was driving an orange Beetle, and she came to appreciate that car and all of its quirkiness. Owning those old VWs sparked my original desire to "someday" get my own 911.

Now, I don't know what she'll think of the noise, or the smell, or the heavy steering, but I'm hoping nostalgia kicks in to overcome her misgivings. I also hope she "lets" me get a coupe.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerB
...I was driving an orange Beetle...
Tell me more about this Beetle. I've always wanted one of the old ones. Or should I just stick with the Porsche?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Tell me more about this Beetle. I've always wanted one of the old ones. Or should I just stick with the Porsche?
Air-cooled Beetle are great cars if you can find one rust free but at least rust repair is easier since the body & chassis can be easily seperated to weld in floor pans, heater channels, etc.

Simple to work on, parts are reasonable priced and there are plenty of suppliers worldwide.

The heater system is very poor below 20 degrees unless you have the gas heater.
Paint job will cost about the same as the Porsche and re-paints will actually increase the value.

My buddy has a 63 beetle all-metal drag car and does the 1/8th mile in 7.5 seconds as long as the front wheels don't lift too high .

Check out www.thesamba.com

John
Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Suzanne1973E
Cruisin'

I am the wife, we work together on ours and will have to toss a coin to see who gets to drive it the most
Old 12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My FSU (former spousal unit) enjoyed the rides in it. Present 'friend' likes it a lot. (Probably a better driver than me!)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by m491driver
My wife thinks its beautiful, loves riding in it, not interested in driving it, and doesn't mind me spending time in the garage tinkering with it. I'm very blessed. Of course after 26 years of marriage you kinda get to know one another.
Jim
+1
Old 12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
MLIN
Instructor

My wife loves to drive the boxster. She is indifferent of my 911, and has yet to drive it. Now with addition of a roll bar, recaro seats and six-point harnesses, there is even less chance of her driving it. Though she has never complained about my obsession with my 911 or the numerous DE events that I attend a year.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
RogerB
Track Day

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Might be fun to tinker with, but people are awfully proud of the nice ones. Seems like I could get a lot more car for the price of a nice Beetle these days.

My orange one was my second Beetle--a 71 Super with the 1600cc motor, dual port heads, and mac-strutted front end. Still with the flat windshield, though. Other features included rust, a propensity to backfire, and a completely worn out front end.

My first Beetle had been a 69, standard, with the 1300cc and torsion bar front and a really bad respray. Slow, but more fun on the backroads. Learned my lesson about those "extra" pieces of tin on the motor...

I had big dreams for those cars, but never had the money to realize any of them. They were high school and college cars, and they were neat to have, but they had been cheap to acquire--meaning they needed help that I couldn't afford to give them. Ran up my credit card bill getting the front end fixed on the Super, by a local, heavily accented German mechanic who scolded me for having too-large tires and bad alignment settings.

Sold it soon after that, and bought an overpriced Yamaha scooter, which was really the right vehicle for college. I could actually drive it to class and park near the building, it never broke down, and it was pennies to run.

I've looked around at "thesamba" and "aircooled.net" and some other bug sites, and I just feel like to get a bug where I'd want it, I'd spend about the same as I would on a 911 that needs nothing. There is a cool factor in having something unique and old that you've built yourself, but I don't have time for that right now. Besides, the 911 is what I always wished my Bugs to be, anyway.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerB
Might be fun to tinker with, but people are awfully proud of the nice ones. Seems like I could get a lot more car for the price of a nice Beetle these days.

My orange one was my second Beetle--a 71 Super with the 1600cc motor, dual port heads, and mac-strutted front end. Still with the flat windshield, though. Other features included rust, a propensity to backfire, and a completely worn out front end.

My first Beetle had been a 69, standard, with the 1300cc and torsion bar front and a really bad respray. Slow, but more fun on the backroads. Learned my lesson about those "extra" pieces of tin on the motor...

I had big dreams for those cars, but never had the money to realize any of them. They were high school and college cars, and they were neat to have, but they had been cheap to acquire--meaning they needed help that I couldn't afford to give them. Ran up my credit card bill getting the front end fixed on the Super, by a local, heavily accented German mechanic who scolded me for having too-large tires and bad alignment settings.

Sold it soon after that, and bought an overpriced Yamaha scooter, which was really the right vehicle for college. I could actually drive it to class and park near the building, it never broke down, and it was pennies to run.

I've looked around at "thesamba" and "aircooled.net" and some other bug sites, and I just feel like to get a bug where I'd want it, I'd spend about the same as I would on a 911 that needs nothing. There is a cool factor in having something unique and old that you've built yourself, but I don't have time for that right now. Besides, the 911 is what I always wished my Bugs to be, anyway.
I just love the sound of those carburetted flat-4s, but a 356 in good shape is way too expensive. I was thinking that one of the bugs might be close to a 356, but I could be way off (no offense meant to any 356 owners). I'll stick with my Porsche, but if I get the chance to drive an old bug, I will jump on it.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Suzanne1973E
Cruisin'

I am the wife!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Finally Suzanne !

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention it should say " spouse" . I guess you just kinda did !!!...

Quick Reply: how does your wife feel about your 911?