Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Best Freight Company in the US??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The Best Freight Company in the US??

If any of you have ever needed to ship something that is heavier (and/or bigger) than what UPS or FedEx will take AND you do not have an account with a freight company, do you wonder what freight company to use?? If so, I think I might have found one of the best freight shippers out there. Their name is BAX Global (www.baxglobal.com or 1-800-CALL-BAX).

I had two 944 Turbo transmissions to ship (one from California to Ohio and the other from Ohio to Florida). Loaded inside the shipping crate, they each weighed 180 pounds (i.e. too heavy for UPS and FedEx). For my shipment from Ohio to Florida, I called several national freight companies for rates including ABF, Yellow, Roadway and American Freight (FedEx freight carrier). All of the carrier's quotes were higher than $200 except for ABF. ABF's quote was $146.

Although I thought ABF's quote was high, it was looking like that was the best I could do . . . until a friend of mine recommended contacting BAX Global. I contacted BAX and they gave me a quote for $83.04. Wow!! Much better than ABF. I then wondered about shipping time -> will they take forever? They confirmed that shipping time would be only two days!! Nice. They picked up the transmission in Ohio at 5pm on Friday and it was delivered to Florida on the following Monday in the early afternoon. And, the news gets better, their final charge on my credit card was only $76.28. That included the shipping AND the declared value of $1,000 for this shipment. I think that BAX has the best freight rates out there for individuals who do not have a volume account with a shipper.

Other notes:

* You can get freight quotes and arrange shipments on-line.
* If you decide to call them to arrange a shipment, make sure to tell them that you do not have an account with them and they will allow you to prepay the freight with your credit card.
* Make sure to tell them to send an "air bill" with the driver who is picking up the shipment. On one of my shipments, the driver for my pick-up forgot to bring some blank air bills with him because many who ship with BAX already have accounts and thus have their own supply of air bills.
* The declared value charge is $0.65 per $100 of declared value in excess of $50.
* My shipment from California to Ohio only took three days and the total cost was $115 including $2,000 worth of declared value.

I hope this is helpful to those of you looking to ship engines, transmissions and other heavy and/or unusually large items. I am posting this to the 944 General List, 944 Turbo List, Racing List, 944 General Web Forum, 944 Turbo Web Forum and Racing Forum. If any of you read this, find it valuable and would like to cross post to other rennlist e-mail lists or web forums, please do so.

Jeff
Paid Rennlist Member
Old 02-10-2003, 04:57 PM
myturbo36
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip...I have spent way too much money with freight companies. I will give them a try next time.

Quick Reply: The Best Freight Company in the US??