Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pulls to the right. What's wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulls to the right. What's wrong??

On the way back home from a good spirited drive today, I noticed that my car now pulls to the right (fairly hard) when braking. It drives straight otherwise. I didn't feel any shutters with or without braking, though I never got above 40-50mph once I discovered the problem. I just recently had it re-aligned with some new camber settings.

Can anybody point me in the right direction before I start making calls in the morning?? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sticky caliper would be my first guess. Certainly was on my car. Might be time to rebuild your front calipers.

But . . . corner balance can also be a factor (or so I've been told).

Ian
Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

What about a bent rotor?

I guess it's possible that the parking brake (when I dropped my buddy off at his house on the way home) could've bent a hot rotor... but the car had cooled down a bit driving back through town and the parking brake was only on for about 45 seconds.

Which wheel(s) does the parking brake grip on a 3.2 ???
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

A sticky caliper is definitely a possibility, but it could also be an internally collapsed brake hose. Jack the front of the car up and see if indeed one wheel is harder to spin by hand than the other. If so, crack the bleeder screw open on the offending wheel. If it now turns easier w/ the bleeder open, then it is probably the brake hose, and in that case replace ALL rubber brake hoses on your car. If not, then it most likely is a sticky caliper, necessitating a rebuild for both fronts or new ones. If neither brake is sticky, it could be an alignment issue or you tried the brakes on a crowned road. try em on a flat road. Good luck.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh yeah, RE your parking brake question, applying the parking brake one really hot rotors CAN warp them, but it would not cause a brake pull. The rear brake rotors have a mini drum brake inside the hub area that hold the car when you apply the parking brake.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Parking brake grips both rear wheels. They should be adjusted so they grip at the same time.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 308 Likes on 212 Posts

The parking brake would have stuck as well if it was that hot.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Strange... I drove it today and it was perfect.... no pulling at all...

Must be a sticky caliper. The problem is now that I don't know which... the fronts were rebuilt about 7,000 miles ago... So if it pulls to the right, then is it probably the left rear???
Old 08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Glad all is well now. Just watch it and provide feed back periodically. An internally collapsed rubber brake line can cause the same symptoms. Did the brakes ever feel like one of them was still locked after you took your foot off the pedal? If internally collapsed, it takes a few minutes for pressure to equalize in the line after releasing the pedal.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As people said above, the calibers. But first I would check the front rotor. If those rotor worn uneven, comparing between the 2, it will pull to one side. When breaking hard, down the hill, it might shake too.

Quick Reply: Pulls to the right. What's wrong??