Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Temp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:50 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

You can check the case itself, from underneath, and also the thermostat, which is down by the rear passenger-side wheel.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Markshu, My 88 Carrera did the same as yours. I found the factory thermal switch located in the oil cooler in the right front fender had a temp of 244 degree F before the fan came on. That was way too hot. I bought a BMW radiator thermal switch from Pelican rated at 99 degrees C (210-212 F), put it in and now my fan comes on at 210-212 F and the needle never has gone above that mark. Some guys have actually plugged the hole and ran a separate switch so they can manually turn the fan off and on, but I utilized my factory wiring harness and was pleased with the results. I did not cut the factory wiring to do the change. The factory wire is a single wire with a round connector and grounds through the cooler. I made a small interface connector (approx 4' long) that mates to the round wire end and then put a flat spade connector on the other end so it would connect to the new dual pole thermal switch from Pelican. Then I made a ground wire approximately 6 inches long with another spade connector on one end and a flat eyelet connector on the other end and ran it off the other side of the dual pole switch and grounded it to the 10mm bolt on the cooler. works great.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '84 Carrera was running at the 9 o'clock position once warm and would climb to the 10 o'clock position in 90+ degree temps. A quick inspection showed one hard oil line was crimped about 75% of the way shut. That was enough to not let the oil flow forward to the oil cooler.

After installing a new hard oil line and a new thermostat and the car never goes above the second white line (194 degrees per the above pic).

Quick Reply: Engine Temp?