Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Found a 1977 911 Targa...need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes hopefully this car will work out. I definately would like to come home with it. John Walker will be able to give the verdict soon though! We shall soon see!!!

Jeremy
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Brother
Intermediate

Looks like you bought it since your avatar picture changed.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:28 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

I did get it. I don't think my avatar has changed though. Still the same. The Great Pumpkin :-)
Old 10-14-2006, 11:12 PM
jdogporsche
Racer

Well Ice, you were correct back in August that I would be bringing it home. Sure enough, it is in my driveway. Here is the list of what I had to do to get the Great Pumpkin (as my wife calls it) running.

New battery.
New oil.
Took Fuel Distributor apart to clean it. Distributor plunger was gunked up.
New Fuel Filter.
New Fuel injectors (all of them)
New Fuel injector cups.
Drained the tank and lines.
New Fuel sender gasket.
Fixed drivers side door handle. (would not close).

So, $2700.00 later and I am finally behind the driver's wheel! They put a fuel additive in and an oil additive as well. They said it was blowing smoke pretty bad and that perhaps a ring was causing this. The oil additive they put in is supposed to fix this. I have been driving it a little bit since getting it from the shop yesterday and it has gotten a bit better. It is not smoking any more that I can see.

It is still running a bit rough, and I will start looking at that after a week more or so of driving if it is still prevalent. It is backfiring a bit too, which does concern me. Doesn't that usually mean it is running too rich or lean or that my timing is off? I will do some reading through the forums on this as I don't have a popoff valve on my airbox and don't want to blow it up. Anyway, for those of you in the Seattle area, I will see you on the road! Keep your eyes peeled for the Great Pumpkin!!!

Quick Reply: Found a 1977 911 Targa...need some advice