Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heating System - 3.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I removed my rear stock blower from the eng. comp. in my 87 cabriolet to put a larger blower in its place. Put a jumper on the reed inside the famous and rather expensive heater blower relay in the eng. comp. so the aux motors in the footwells work (fused of course). Blocked off the shroud on the LH side of the eng. So with the just the footwell blowers at 18F outside this morning took er out for quick run to the carb factory (bagel store). With these new mods in the cabrio, both occupant and bagels stay nice and warm and the trip is twice as fast.

Last edited by griffiths; 12-27-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does anyone else experience this behavior from their system???

I have a 10 position auto climate control on my 88' 911 cab.

As a 'for instance' I'll turn the **** to -3- (whatever temp that is) everything runs as it should, rear engine mounted and footwell blowers all kick in and nice warm air fills the cockpit. Once the -3- temp is acheived the system shuts down
Old 12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by butzip
Does anyone else experience this behavior from their system???

I have a 10 position auto climate control on my 88' 911 cab.

As a 'for instance' I'll turn the **** to -3- (whatever temp that is) everything runs as it should, rear engine mounted and footwell blowers all kick in and nice warm air fills the cockpit. Once the -3- temp is acheived the system shuts down
And then I hit the send button by accident!! Carrying on......

So , the system shutes down and one would think since it is AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL that it would maintain the temperature. But in fact, the temmp drops and the system does not kick back in. Instead, I have to turn the **** to -4- then -5- then -6- then -7- OK you get the idea. Ultimately, I reach
-9- (if I'm on a long trip) and then have to resort to -10- which runs indefinately and turn it on and off manually to stay warm. Anybody experience this?? Not a big deal really but annoying.

Give me the manual levers and cables from my SC anyday!!!

Brgds,Peter
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Very annoying indeed. I have the manual ones, which are not like yours, but I notice the same thing with my AC. Once set, it doesn't remain... POS!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Update: I received my rear blower this evening and installed it. It blows quite a bit of air, even with the footwell blowers off (blown fuses on them). Just to test the footwells, I bought new fuses and started testing them. The driver side footwell did not spin at switch position 0,1,2 and the fuse blew at position 3. So that one is totally shot. On to the passenger footwell - it started spinning very slowly on positions 0 and 1. When I tried positions 2 and 3, it squealed like a stuck pig. So, although it spins, the bearings are in poor condition and it's too loud. At least I found out the my switch is working, resistors and wiring is all good. But the blowers are shot.

So, with the rear blower giving plenty of airflow, I will probably just leave out those footwell fuses and may not even replace them ever. Of course, if I ever decide to clean up my engine bay, I would strongly consider replacing the footwell blowers and performing the rear blower delete.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
.... At least I found out the my switch is working, resistors and wiring is all good. But the blowers are shot.... .
If you're not going to fix your footwell blowers, you might want to consider removing them and leave everything else intact (they are easy enough to put back in later). Since they are inoperable, all they are doing is blocking the air duct, and removing them will typically provide a better air flow into the passenger compartment.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KC911
If you're not going to fix your footwell blowers, you might want to consider removing them and leave everything else intact (they are easy enough to put back in later). Since they are inoperable, all they are doing is blocking the air duct, and removing them will typically provide a better air flow into the passenger compartment.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Good point...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Update: I received my new front footwell blowers and installed them. They blow quite a bit of air! The old ducting to the windshield is fragile, so I recommend to anyone to be careful under there, but the install was almost too easy. I also found 2 nickels and a penny in the duct work. They were all "brand-new" from 1988!

So, now I probably have too much air (heat) and I might now consider doing the rear blower delete option.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 12-27-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Heating System - 3.2 Carrera