Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Catalytic Converter Died 1984 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006 | 04:31 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Default Catalytic Converter Died 1984 911

My mechanic tells me that the catalytic converter in my 1984 Carrera (Targa) is partially blocked. I am in California so a test pipe is not a viable option. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap, new cat?

Thanks in advance,
-Sean
Old 08-10-2006 | 04:41 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Performance Products sells the Cat for $500.
Pelican sells them for $425.
Old 08-10-2006 | 04:56 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Poking through it witha screwdriver ?

My 83 had a "gutted" cat the entire time I was un california, unbeknowst to me - it always passed Smog with flying colors... I'd gut them if I were you, apparently if your engine is in tune, that'll pass inspection and still pass smog !
Old 08-10-2006 | 04:57 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Thanks. I think that the GHL makes sense (especially at 1/3 the cost of the OEM)
Old 08-10-2006 | 05:08 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Greg D. I thought of that, but my car seems to just squeek by the smog check. My car generates a high amount of NO2 which they only test for in "Enhanced Areas" like Los Angeles. I might still pass, but it is getting very costly to fail -no more free retests.
Old 08-10-2006 | 05:49 PM
Jay H
Drifting

The $500 cat from Performance Products does work. Two of the 911's in my family have passed with this cat.
Old 08-10-2006 | 06:15 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Just got a follow-up call from the mechanic. He has gutted the old cat for me. I will probably buy the Pelican $425 job when it is time to get smogged. Maybe I will smog it with the gutted cat, but take it to a smog check place out of LA where the NO2 test is not run (if I can actually get away with that)...

Thanks to everyone.
-Sean
Old 08-10-2006 | 06:32 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Mount the new cat for the emissions test, have the test done, then put a nice cat bypass pipe on until the next test! The cat stays new that way and will never clog up.
Old 08-10-2006 | 06:49 PM
seanoj
Intermediate

Jay H, sounds like a very good plan...

-Sean
Old 08-10-2006 | 07:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Greg: Just curious, when were you in CA? The reason that I ask, we experimented a bit with this situation (a friend of mine that did smog tests had a shop half a block from my shop), and found that a "catless" SC would not pass smog using the dyno method. Yes, we could set them to pass using only the computer and tailpipe reading, but even then it was a hold your breath moment because as you reduce the CO% the HC goes up. Since the dyno it's a lot tougher.
Pete
Old 08-10-2006 | 09:11 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete,

I was in San Rafael, Marin county... And I should say I left end of 2001 or early 2002 ? Can't remember... does it matter ? If so, ignore me ;-)

I'd rather not mention the shop in case they'd get in trouble, but really they did nothing wrong... They told me one day "by the way, did you know your cat is gutted"? I had no idea because the car had passed smog when I bought it and every 2 years since... All I know is that I would drop it off at the shop and they'd get it smogged for me... I suppose it is possible that they altered settings somewhat pre-check and then restored them to normal, but honestly, the numbers looked very very good - not "close", and I distinctly remember the mechanic saying that a good SC in state of tune would pass with or without cats...

I am sorry I have no specifics other than real life experience - and it might be harder since I left - but I had a gutted cat and no problems! I since moved to FL and the SC is still "exhaling" decent enough gas - no smog here but we analyzed it not long ago to check the settings... Now I can put SSIs too ! I miss certain aspects of CA, but not the governmental BS ;-)
Old 08-10-2006 | 10:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I distinctly remember the mechanic saying that a good SC in state of tune would pass with or without cats...
We've got a shop here in my state that can assist with getting an SC to pass. A few mixture changes and she'll pass.

I've been told that the 2.7 cars will pass with no cat without problems.
Old 08-11-2006 | 01:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Greg: Oh, to have SSIs! The one change that I really want to make on my '82, and can't. CA smog tests are bad enough because most smog technicians don't even understand how to check the timing - even though the instructions are printed on the decal under the engine lid (disconnect vacuum, slow the idle speed, etc.). Every two years I have to hold somebody by the hand and show them how to check it... Actually, I finally found a Test Only station here in town that is owned by a guy who understands the procedure. I had to buy a new gas filler cap two tests ago, the last test went fine. Back in '97/98 my PCA Club car (SSIs, etc.) was a nightmare to keep registered - I almost went looking for a Nevada address!

Jay: The 2.7s without thermal reactors are a piece of cake to pass smog. I think that the reactors were more to get the car into the country (cold start/run requirements, etc.), rather than to keep it here. Also, the cars are old enough that they will pass a visual without much difficulty - I don't imagine that there are to many smog techs out there who know what a thermal reactor looks like! Unfortunately the test literature describes the required smog pump, so a '76-79 without one will fail the visual. Always something...
Pete
Old 08-11-2006 | 02:57 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I don't imagine that there are to many smog techs out there who know what a thermal reactor looks like! Pete
Honestly Pete, I didn't know what a thermal reactor looked like until I was hot after a 1977 911 this spring (which again, you graciously helped me out with a few questions). Only by looking at a part diagram for pricing new ones did I realize what a thermal reactor was! I've been judging these cars for years and have never seen one in the flesh!

Just to clarify my post above, I assume the 2.7 cars are non catalyst cars anyway.
Old 08-11-2006 | 03:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

...and one solution to passing the visual inspections on the 77 cars (originally with the thermal reactors and air pump) is to gut the insides of the air pump so that it is merely free running,--and not really doing a thing. It then passes the visual inspection for being in place, but doesn't cause other issues.

Glad THAT'S well behind me!

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Died 1984 911