Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive old 911s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:29 AM
BlazinBWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive old 911s?

Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive an old 911? I know the Porsche Club is good but I really do not want to put my current SC on the track because its in really amazing condition and having it go *** backward into a wall would be a real shame. Is there a school that has old 911s to drive? Prolly not. I will go anywhere...well lets keep it in the US for now lol.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

PCA, and the chances of you wadding up your car in the beginner's group are slim and none. You can actually buy DE insurance based on the value of your car if you want piece of mind about it. You can also try autocross if the track scares you, but you will run for a total of minutes at an A/X in a big parking lot vs. up to 2 HOURS of track time at a typical DE. In PCA DE you will have an instructor with you at all time, can't say how AX works as I am not into it..
Old 08-03-2006, 10:25 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

DE at a UCR event is really safe.
Everyone loves their car and would do nothing to harm it.
The green run group is doing street speed.
You (and your car)will love it.
IMO Auto x is the best way to beat the crap out of your car.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not aware of an "old 911 school". However, a driver's school that uses rear-engined formula cars & has an instructor w/ experience racing 911s would be one approach. If you become proficient in that setting, you'd be well on your way to command a 911. Another would be to find a team that preps & rents 911s for vintage racing. good luck! some sources...
http://www.grmotorsports.com/news/01...age-racing.php
http://www.jimrussellusa.com/racingc...racecarexp.php
Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
gerry100
Pro

Any well run PCA school would be the place. Many instructors will own or have 911 experience.

The basics of vehicle dynamics and driving fundamentals apply to all cars.
FWD,RWD,AWD and weight distribution require adjustment from the driver.

The 911 because off its 60% rear weight bias is has excellent "throttle on " traction but is also more sensitive to getting loose if one lifts in a turn. Most other cars are close to 50/50.

What some consider treacherous about the 911 is used advantageously by experienced drivers.

I wouldn't worry about your car at a PCA event ( I also have had good experience at a BMWCCA events)

Just take it slow and get a feel for the car, you'll have agreat time and you'll begin to realize the great capabilities that your 20+ year old SC has.

All old Porsche's should get to visit their ancestral homeland (the track) at least once.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:18 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

You are in more danger driving your car on public roads than at the track. PCA DE is a great experience and I highly recommend it. I also recommend you do an autocross or two.

I track my 1987 58,000 g-50 Cabriolet.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Some things to consider IF you start thinking of attending a DE event are the conditions of all suspension components including bushings and even more importantly your brakes. All PCA regions require a pre-tech to ensure that your car is in satisfactory shape but you are responsible for it's condition regardless. "Amazing condition" can mean a lot of things.. is it all original in great shape? If so I would bet ALL the bushings are shot or close to it. Has the brake fluid been flushed yearly? Running ATE Blue or Gold fluid? What brake pads are your running? Etc. etc. There is plenty of help out there for you!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:02 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure of the best path for going from driving novice -> early 911 expert, but a couple of observations:

First, in my limited DE experience, beginning level DE instructors are extremely hinky about getting sideways. They seem entirely focused on staying well on the safe side of "the line" without going over it.

You need to find a place to lose traction. Until you get a feel for how far you can rotate the car and still bring it back, IMO, you'll never really understand the handling. On a lower friction surface, you can get that experience at safer speeds. Large wet parking lots are good. If the car is not pristine, the large dirt/gravel parking lots at ski areas are a lot of fun. Pendulum the car around, practice weight transfer and really get a feel for what it does past the limits.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'll add another vote for a PCA DE. Lowest crash record of any group that I know of that runs around here. I did a DE with another group, which was still well run, but more of a free-for-all, and on my first run solo (without an instructor), I hit the wall. Tells you something - I clearly wasn't ready to be signed off. Back to strictly PCA for me, until I'm for sure ready for solo. I won't hesitate to get out on the same track, same car, with PCA.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Peter Bull
Advanced

Start with auto x. The speed is low, but you still drive as fast as you possibly can. You spin the car, and the worst thing that happens is that your tires get flat spots.

I have met a lot of people who are very sceptical about autox before they try it. But a rare few remains that way after having tried it.

/Peter
Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also try hooking up w/ the (PCA) NNJR car clinic, held at the meadowlands parking lot every spring (or something similar)... my '86 Cab is not pristine, but as has been said here before, if you were dating a supermodel, would youjust give her a shower every week? your car will be happier too...
the worst that will probably happen in a PCA novice DE is stone chips becuause you will be following closely behind another student (and getting ready to pass!). these can be prevented/minimized by various means...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Lets not forget about the PCA skid course.
I assume you have them in the US.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
art
Pro

Go kart racing. The basic ones only have rear brakes and this simulates a 911 pretty well. If you lift or brake in a turn you will spin. It will only cost a few bucks if you have a place near you. There are more indoor karting places showing up. After doing this I would never waste the money to race a car.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 AM
BlazinBWF
Intermediate

Well maybe PCA is the way to go...I am a poor college student so I do not really want to have to keep buying new tires and break pads for my car...but I guess most driving schools are a few grand anyways so maybe its less.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA drivers education is affordable and PCA has many of the best instructors and has an instructor certification program that has a full curiculem of classroom and on track mentoring. Other then starting with a fresh set of brake pads and a brake fluid flush you need not add anything to your car assuming it is in good mechanical shape. Paying attentiion to your instructor will give you a great foundation for high speed driving after your first event as a novice. Watch out however - It's addicting!

Quick Reply: Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive old 911s?