Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive old 911s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are willing to go anywhere in the US, try a PCA DE at a road course called Putnam Park. There are no walls, and there is A LOT of run off space so if you do spin out you will not hit anything.

I think there is a DE there in mid-September sponsored by the Central Indiana Region PCA. They are known for running very good DE's with heavy emphasis on learning and safety.

Most DE's cost $300 give or take $50. Not a budget breaker by any means. And you get a ton of track time. Try one at the right kind of track and you will love it. Ask me how I know!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I STRONGLY, EMPHATICALLY recommend taking your car to several autocrosses. You can usually find them in your area through your local PCA, SCCA, or even BMWCCA clubs' websites.

Autocross will show you what the dynamics of the car are at very reasonable speeds. You will learn early on, for example, what all of those people are talking about when they talk about "trailing throttle oversteer" in a 911! You will also learn, however, how to make the unique dynamics of a 911 your friend. They are really very fun and competitive autox cars.

By the way, autox is not just a school...it's a sport with a following that seems to be growing at exponential rates. It is highly addictive, and competitive. Be prepared to go home with a big smile, and looking forward to the following weekend when you can do it all again.

The dynamics you learn driving at second gear speeds translate to what the car will do at much higher speeds, without the concern of "backing the car into a wall." When you do finally hit the track, you will have honed your car control skills, and be that much better and smoother a driver.

Contrary to some opinions, the wear and tear on your car in autox is less than track driving. I'm not saying that a Porsche, properly maintained, cannot withstand track use...it certainly can take it! Autox is much more tame on most of the systems of the car, though. In either case (track or autox) the amount of "abuse" is up to the "abusive" driver. Driven properly, neither is really bad for the car, beyond accelerating the wear of normal replacable items such as brake pads.

Quick Reply: Where is the Best Place to learn how to drive old 911s?